From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-daq for microcontroller

Hello

Im working on a project that make use of ubuntu embed arch and need to install NI and use python to read from

it. which of the driver should I install?? I use NI-usb6218 and ubuntu armhf 14.04?

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,440 Views)

I might be wrong, but I don't believe there is a DAQmx for your platform at this stage. DAQmx and DAQmx Base are only available for Linux x86 and Mac OS X x86. Your ARM architecture definitely won't work with either of them.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,810 Views)

If you have the specs of the hardware you want to communicate with, writing a Linux device driver is not that hard. Some web tutorials will get you started in under an hour, but then it ntirely depends on what kind of hardware.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,810 Views)

Probably he can write his own driver if full device specificatiom avaivable.

There are low SDK and NDK for NI hardware are avaivable, but in case of NIDAQmxBase they use old linux usb stack and it probably SDK and SDK doesn't work with actual usb stack, but you can found on forum discission about how to use it with actual usb stack.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,810 Views)

@mig-31 wrote:

Probably he can write his own driver if full device specificatiom avaivable.

*IF* NI would hand out specs. (tried many times, they just refuse)

There are low SDK and NDK for NI hardware are avaivable, but in case of NIDAQmxBase they use old linux usb stack and it probably SDK and SDK doesn't work with actual usb stack, but you can found on forum discission about how to use it with actual usb stack.

As long as they insist in proprietary kernel, it would be *illegal* to support USB devices on non-ancient kernels - the USB stack is GPL-only.

IOW: until they open up the specs (or somebody's bored enough to do a full reverse engineering), you that piece of hw ist nothing but garbage.

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,861 Views)