Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-RIO 3.5 drivers, 64bit and realtime possible?

Hello,

I'm still a student and quite new to the Rio boards but I already managed to make a DAQmx boards running under openSuse, and the PCI-7811R under Scientific Linux, with the help of this Community. But now my task is to make the board running under a realtime Linux with a machine that has 64bit. We need the board for a simulation. Could you give me an advice which Linux distros might work under realtime with the NI-RIO drivers?

At the moment I'm trying to install the board under an evaluation version from RedHat with a 2.6.18-186.el5-x86-64 kernel and while installing I get this error:

[.....]

Installing NI-RIO Driver version 3.5.0f2...
Pre Installation .
Post Installation .
Pre Installation .....................
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
[........]
   19:niriosysapii           ########################################### [100%]

Post Installation .
Warning: nikali post installation failed! /tmp/nikaliPostInstall.log follows:
ERROR: failed to build NiRioSrv.ko
  NiRioSrv.ko failed to update.
Update of National Instruments drivers failed.
Updating modversions database to include newly installed drivers...

[..............]

NI-RIO Driver Installation completed with errors.

I tried things like 'make modules_prepare' that fixed other errors, but on reinstall i always get this error, and now, of course i get an error when i reboot (could not find niRioSrv.ko or something like that).

Is there anybody how experienced this error too, or even better, has experience with an NI-RIO board and a realtime Linux?

Until now my plan was to try the RedHat MRG (realtime) platform.

I would be very glad about helpful information.

Thanks,

Daniel Heintges

ACS - RWTH Aachen

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,375 Views)

I don't know if your still dealing with this but it looks like you'll need to look at nikal. If you extract the archive (the tar.gz'd file) you will see a bunch of RPMs. Further if you extract the files out of the nikal rpm (see http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/11/04/short-tip-extract-files-from-an-rpm-file/) you will see a folder hierarchy that eventually leads to a source folder. There you will find source for nikal (nikal.c). You'll need to look through the source noting the different flags and what they do. Likely your not configuring it correctly. Once you've figured that you can try you hand at building the module by hand. It's not that hard though, the makfile only requires 2 lines! I can send you a makefile for nikal if you want.

Also what version of the kernel are your running?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,517 Views)