Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI PCIe-7842R in a Linux system

Dear Community,

I'm buying the NI PCIe-7842R. I want to interface it with a Linux Mint to read data from FPGA. I undrestood that the FPGA C Api generator creates all the file necessary to interface my custom aplication in Linux with the

NI PCIe-7842R but, I'd like to know where to download the source code for the kernel module and for the libNiFpga.so library

Can you explain the procedure to intefcae the NI PCIe-7842R with my linux system?

Best,

CortexM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(7,716 Views)

I would start here: http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/9036/en/

If you have follow-up questions, please post.

I believe the kernel module is distributed as a binary.

Message 2 of 8
(6,825 Views)

Unfortunately, the source code for this kernel module and library are not available. They are only distributed as binaries.

The driver for this device, NI-RIO Driver 15.0 for Linux, is available at http://www.ni.com/download/ni-rio-15.0/5603/en/, but you'll see in the README that we do not support Linux Mint.

However, we will track your question. We track both requested Linux distribution support and requests for an open source version of the NI-RIO driver that would give customers the flexilibility to build NI-RIO on any Linux distribution.

Message 3 of 8
(6,825 Views)

Thank you,

it will be great to have just the compiled version of the NI PCIe-7842R for our Linux mint 17.2 with kernel RT preemptive 3.12.19.

I'm an experienced user of RT and FPGA NI platform and for an important project, I want to use the PCIe-7842R to interface with the system running Linux mint 17.2 with kernel RT preemptive 3.12.19. To have more info and to discuss the feasibility you can contact me in private.

Best

CortexM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,825 Views)

Right now we aren't able to provide compiled binaries for your specific kernel.

Our Linux installer from http://www.ni.com/download/ni-rio-15.0/5603/en/ includes unversioned kernel modules, and our installer scripts will version those against your running kernel. I can't guarantee that our kernel modules would function correctly on your system, but I don't know of any reason they would not work. You could try this out, but this would require a lot of custom install steps and overcoming several hurdles (for example, our installer only includes .rpm's, no .deb's). Even after you installed the driver, NI would not be able to support any problems with the system.

I would recommend working with your NI Sales rep to discuss alternative supported solutions.

Message 5 of 8
(6,825 Views)

Dear Community,

just for info, I'm able to run the FPGA intreface on the linux mint system.

Thank you

M

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,825 Views)

However, we will track your question. We track both requested Linux distribution support and requests for an open source version of the NI-RIO driver that would give customers the flexilibility to build NI-RIO on any Linux distribution.

What does "track" actually mean ?

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,603 Views)

@cortexM wrote:

Dear Community,

just for info, I'm able to run the FPGA intreface on the linux mint system.

Does it also work on an not so ancient kernel and distro ?

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,583 Views)