Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-KAL Beta 1.10 - Question

Shawn,

I noticed the beta release 1.10 for NI-KAL, many thanks! I also read the modversions support for Opensuse....now is this meant for 11.1? I would definetly want to try this on Opensuse 11.1 and report back on any issues. Any other distro that you want this version of NI-KAL to test it on?

-Anshuk

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(11,997 Views)

I get this error with on Fedora (with F11 kernels from rawhide, and F10 everything else):

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.29.2-126.fc11.x86_64/source SUBDIRS=/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.29.2-126.fc11.x86_64'
  CC   /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nikal.o
/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nikal.c: In function ‘nNIKAL100_acquireSpinLockInterrupt’:
/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nikal.c:2488: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a cast
/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nikal.c: In function ‘nNIKAL100_releaseSpinLockInterrupt’:
/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nikal.c:2498: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a cast
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 1 modules
WARNING: "init_mm" [/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nikal.ko] undefined!
  CC      /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nikal.mod.o
  LD   /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nikal.ko
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.29.2-126.fc11.x86_64'
Installing NI-KAL (nikal): Starting NI-KAL failed!

- Mike

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(4,725 Views)

Man you're fast!  I didn't even get a chance to post an announcement yet .

anshuljain wrote:

I also read the modversions support for Opensuse....now is this meant for 11.1?

Ah, and you read the README...  Those steps for installing on openSUSE should be valid for 10.3, 11.0, and will be needed for 11.1.  You may have also noticed that the README still only claims official support for openSUSE 10.3 and 11.0.  That is because if you just follow those steps and then install something like NI-DAQmx on openSUSE 11.1 it still won't work.  With the NI-KAL 1.10 beta you must run updateNIDrivers after installing all NI Software if you are using openSUSE 11.1, and then it should work.

anshuljain wrote:

I would definetly want to try this on Opensuse 11.1 and report back on any issues. Any other distro that you want this version of NI-KAL to test it on?

Testing openSUSE 11.1 (after running updateNIDrivers), would be greatly appreciated.  Besides that feel free to test any distribution you want.  I guess I should also warn that this NI-KAL 1.10 beta also won't work on any Linux distribution that has kernel 2.6.29 or greater so there really isn't any point in testing that because I already know it won't work.

Shawn Bohrer

National Instruments

Use NI products on Linux? Come join the NI Linux Users Community
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(4,725 Views)

OK, it chokes on F11 because of the init_mm issue. Is there a workaround for this that does not involve recompiling the kernel?

- Mike

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(4,725 Views)

You guys really are fast!

avtechmjc wrote:

I get this error with on Fedora (with F11 kernels from rawhide, and F10 everything else):

Doesn't F10 still have 2.6.27?  I wouldn't expect it to fail if it does.

/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nikal.c: In function ‘nNIKAL100_acquireSpinLockInterrupt’:
/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nikal.c:2488: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a cast
/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nikal.c: In function ‘nNIKAL100_releaseSpinLockInterrupt’:
/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nikal.c:2498: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a cast

Hmm, I actually didn't know about these I'll have to take a look.

WARNING: "init_mm" [/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nikal.ko] undefined!

I would expect this on 2.6.29 and newer, and I'm guessing that even though this is just a warning it is also what caused this:

This should be because init_mm is no longer exported, but can you run "dmesg" to see the error message on why nikal.ko failed to load?

Thanks,

Shawn Bohrer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(4,725 Views)

avtechmjc wrote:

Is there a workaround for this that does not involve recompiling the kernel?

Not yet, and unfortunately it is a difficult problem to solve.

Shawn Bohrer

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(4,725 Views)

From some googling... can you replace init_mm with current->mm->pgd?

- Mike

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(4,725 Views)

Hello,

I have tested nikal 1.10 on Open SuSe 11.1 and gets exactly the same error:

NI-KAL update failed.

/bin/cp nikal.c objects/nikal.c
/bin/cp nikal.h objects/nikal.h
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.27.21-0.1-default/source SUBDIRS=/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects modules
make[1]: se ingresa al directorio `/usr/src/linux-2.6.27.21-0.1'

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-2.6.27.21-0.1/Module.symvers
           is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

CC   /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nikal.o
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 1 modules
  CC      /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nikal.mod.o
  LD   /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nikal.ko
make[1]: se sale del directorio `/usr/src/linux-2.6.27.21-0.1'
make: *** [install] Error 1

ERROR: make of nikal kernel module failed, not installing kernel module.
   updateNIDrivers should be called again after fixing the problem.
   Logging failure...
   Include the file /tmp/niSystemReport.out.gz when contacting
   National Instruments for support.

And if I try to load manually the driver:

insmod nikal.ko
insmod: error inserting 'nikal.ko': -1 Invalid module format

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(4,725 Views)

jmpl wrote:

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-2.6.27.21-0.1/Module.symvers
           is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

Thanks for testing!  Take a look at the Installation Issues section of the README file.  Specifically the steps to to prepare your kernel source for openSUSE.  You need to run step 3.  Then running updateNIDrivers should fix the problem.

Let me know if you have any further issues.  Looks like I should probably fix those compiler warnings too.

Shawn Bohrer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(4,725 Views)

Hello,

Thanks for your answer, I have been able of building the modules nikal and nipalk, I missed the step you pointed. But now I get the folowing errors.

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.27.21-0.1-default/source SUBDIRS=/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects modules
  CC   /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/niorbk-interfaceFile.o                                
  CC   /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/niorbk-export.o                                       
  SHIPPED /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/niorbk-processed.o                                    
  LD   /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/niorbk.o                                              
ld: Relocatable linking with relocations from format elf32-i386 (/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/niorbk-processed.o) to format elf64-x86-64 (/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/niorbk.o) is not supported                
make[2]: *** [/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/niorbk.o] Error 1                                            
make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects] Error 2                                             
make: *** [objects/niorbk.ko] Error 2                                                                           
ERROR: failed to build niorbk.ko                                                                                
niorbk.ko failed to update.                                                                                    
/bin/cp objects/interfaceFile.c objects/nidimk-interfaceFile.c                                                  
  CC   /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nidimk-interfaceFile.o                                           
  CC   /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nidimk-export.o                                                  
  SHIPPED /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nidimk-processed.o                                               
  LD   /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nidimk.o                                                         
ld: Relocatable linking with relocations from format elf32-i386 (/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nidimk-processed.o) to format elf64-x86-64 (/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nidimk.o) is not supported                
make[2]: *** [/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nidimk.o] Error 1                                            
make: *** [objects/nidimk.ko] Error 2                                                                           
ERROR: failed to build nidimk.ko                                                                                
nidimk.ko failed to update.                                                                                    
/bin/cp objects/interfaceFile.c objects/nipxirmk-interfaceFile.c                                                
  CC   /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nipxirmk-interfaceFile.o                                         
  CC   /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nipxirmk-export.o                                                
  SHIPPED /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nipxirmk-processed.o                                             
  LD   /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nipxirmk.o                                                       
ld: Relocatable linking with relocations from format elf32-i386 (/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nipxirmk-processed.o) to format elf64-x86-64 (/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nipxirmk.o) is not supported            
make[2]: *** [/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nipxirmk.o] Error 1                                          
make: *** [objects/nipxirmk.ko] Error 2                                                                         
ERROR: failed to build nipxirmk.ko                                                                              
nipxirmk.ko failed to update.                                                                                  
/bin/cp objects/interfaceFile.c objects/NiViPciK-interfaceFile.c                                                
  CC   /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/NiViPciK-interfaceFile.o                                         
  CC   /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/NiViPciK-export.o                                                
  SHIPPED /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/NiViPciK-processed.o                                             
  LD   /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/NiViPciK.o                                                       
ld: Relocatable linking with relocations from format elf32-i386 (/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/NiViPciK-processed.o) to format elf64-x86-64 (/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/NiViPciK.o) is not supported            
make[2]: *** [/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/NiViPciK.o] Error 1                                          
make: *** [objects/NiViPciK.ko] Error 2                                                                         
ERROR: failed to build NiViPciK.ko                                                                              
NiViPciK.ko failed to update.                                                                                  
/bin/cp objects/interfaceFile.c objects/NiViPxiK-interfaceFile.c                                                
  CC   /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/NiViPxiK-interfaceFile.o                                         
  CC   /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/NiViPxiK-export.o                                                
  SHIPPED /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/NiViPxiK-processed.o                                             
  LD   /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/NiViPxiK.o                                                       
ld: Relocatable linking with relocations from format elf32-i386 (/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/NiViPxiK-processed.o) to format elf64-x86-64 (/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/NiViPxiK.o) is not supported            
make[2]: *** [/usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/NiViPxiK.o] Error 1                                          
make: *** [objects/NiViPxiK.ko] Error 2                                                                         
ERROR: failed to build NiViPxiK.ko                                                                              
NiViPxiK.ko failed to update.                                                                                  
Update of National Instruments drivers failed.

This looks like the modules do not work on 64bits OS.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(4,725 Views)