From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-DAQmx for Linux support for additional cards needed

I have an LabVIEW application that runs on Linux which has used NI-DAQmx v8.0.2 to do data acquisition from a NI-PCI-6071E for many years. I recently have been requested to implement some new instances of this system.

Upon looking at NI's product lineup I noticed two things:

1) the PCI-6071E isn't sold anymore and

2) the replacment cards (PCIe-6353 and PCIe-6363) are not supported by NI-DAQmx v8.0.2 (or by NI-DAQmx base)

No other NI DAQ cards will meet my applications specs (except the PCI-6255 which isn't support either). Am I completely out of luck? Is NI adding Linux NI-DAQmx support for any of their new DAQ cards?

Windows OS is NOT an option.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,727 Views)

Hi,

I think your way is to switch your application to NI-DAQmxBase. Firstly, you should read NI-DAQmxBase specification, because it has some limitations compare to NI-DAQmx. For example: DMA support are missing for correlated digital output/input - it speed is limited by computer speed 100kHz. Read it and check if it met you application specs.

In case, of text programming language (C/C++, Pascal) switching to NI-DAQmxBase is not hard, but in Labview it will be terrible.

In one application I have PCI-6224 (NI-DAQmxBase) and it works perfectly.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,051 Views)

Thanks for your reply.

It is my understanding that none of the NI DAQ cards that meet my specifications are supported by NI-DAQmx base (PCI-6255, PCIe-6353, PCIe-6363).

Is this not true? The card you mentioned, the PCI-6224, is explicitly supported (http://download.ni.com/support/softlib//multifunction_daq/nidaqmxbase/14.0/Linux/README.txt).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,051 Views)

Hi,

What about PCI-6259? It probably mets your specs - difference is less number of analog channels.

And also is not make sence that PCI-6255 is not supported, because all card from M-Series probably supported by NI-DAQmxBase.

My mention about of PCI-6224 only an example in my application.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,051 Views)

One the hard specs for my application is a minimum of 32 differential input channels.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,051 Views)

Ask directly, your local NI repesentant if PCI-6255 supporeted under Linux.

PCI-6259 has 40 digital lines: 32 - hardware timed  , 8 - software clocked.

Next solution will be to use two cards to pass specs.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,051 Views)