Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFS copy of filesystem used with pxeboot doesnt load daqmx device drivers

Solved!
Go to solution

Do other tools (nilsdev, system-report) work properly?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(1,406 Views)

Negative, I tried nilsdev --verbose to try a different tool and got the same error message.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
Senior Systems Analyst II
NASA Ames Research Center
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(1,404 Views)

Ah - we might have missed a step and this may be the solution: 

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/47028

How can I ensure certain kernel modules are included in the initrd or initramfs in RHEL?

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(1,385 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RVallieu

Ok this seems to have worked but the final solution has me baffled.

We built the new initramfs and added a /etc/dracut.conf.d/newsystem-dracut.conf  with the space delimited list of NI modules to include.

We built this list from the lsmod list of the working disk booted RHEL 7.9 system that has no problem with the HW drivers and runs the code perfectly well.

Tried then doing the pxe boot with the new initramfs with those drivers as being verified as installed in the image through

lsinitrd /boot/initramfs-newsystem.img

When we pxe booted the system - it again failed to load the DAQmx driver.

Then we looked the list of installed drivers from my OTHER disk booted system and noticed that the pxe boot initramfs image was missing ni-serial module.

Went to the RHEL 7.9 system, did the yum install of niserial
Went back and added that to the dracut.conf.d file - and then rebuilt the initramfs with that added and took a new rsync copy of the   file system for the NFS.

PXE boot again...

This time the system WORKED!  I will reboot PXE boot again and verify.

I am very confused as to why this would work, when the original RHEL 7.9 disk boot image DOES NOT HAVE niserial module installed but the EXE works fine and can call DAQmx.

But - I'll take the win.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(1,381 Views)

I had a hard time following all of that!

Maybe adding ni-serial was just a red herring and it was just the act of rebuilding the initramfs that did...something?

Also, by default all NI kernel modules should be excluded from initramfs (see /usr/lib/dracut/dracut.conf.d/50-exclude-ni-drivers.conf), as there are often problems when the drivers are in initramfs.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(1,374 Views)

Well we built the initramfs twice today and only when including the drivers did it work this time... hmm.

Is that exclusion file you reference found on NI Linux RT?

We're on RHEL 7.9 - booting into GNOME so we can run Desktop and use that to run the EXE automatically since we're still having issue with the RHEL running LabVIEW Embedded Run-time.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(1,365 Views)

@RVallieu wrote:

Well we built the initramfs twice today and only when including the drivers did it work this time... hmm.

🤷‍

Is that exclusion file you reference found on NI Linux RT?

The configuration file is only installed on RPM-based distributions (openSUSE & RHEL/CentOS in NI's case), so not on Ubuntu and not on NI Linux RT.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(1,360 Views)

Now I am very confused as we're on RHEL 7.9 and that file is nowhere to be found on the entire system.

Perhaps there was an issue with our original LabVIEW installation onto our RHEL 7.9 machine, but we had no indication that something was wrong, no problems in LabVIEW Dev environment, building EXEs, etc. until we went to do this pxe boot and ran into the issue of the driver not loading.

I don't pretend to know enough to know the difference between:

1. RHEL loading from hard disk initramfs and then loading from disk root file system

and

2. pxe boot initramfs and loading root file system as NFS

as to the different requirements that might exist for the initramfs inclusiongs.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(1,355 Views)

What versions of NI drivers are you using?  I don't think the initramfs exclusion went in until the 2021 Q3 driver stack.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(1,346 Views)

Ah sorry, left that bit of info out - 

LabVIEW 2019 SP1 and LabVIEW Device Drivers 2019

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(1,341 Views)