From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Icons under GNOME

anshuljain wrote:

We all do stuff thats "unsupported" (like installing KAL on Ubuntu) and get it to work...and thats the purpose of a community like this to share such information. My query falls under that and not under "support" and "non-support" issues.

Hey Anshul,

This is exactly what this community is for.  From my experience Linux users do all kinds of crazy things whether they are supported or not.  Linux users survive by forming communities where they can help each other out and share their knowledge.  I would like this to become one of those communities.  I should mention that this community is not an official support channel for National Instruments meaning that even if your question is something we officially support you may not receive an answer from an NI employee since no one is actually paid to monitor this community.  In those cases posting to the official NI forums is another choice.

As for you question about Icons under GNOME, it sounds like that is something we've never tested if it doesn't work on any of the distributions.  Perhaps some of the other community members know how this is done.

Shawn Bohrer

National Instruments

Use NI products on Linux? Come join the NI Linux Users Community
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 12
(428 Views)

LabView does not reference the icons properly, as far as I can tell. It does not add the "generic-icon" entry to the mimetype files.

For instance, /usr/share/mime/application/x-labview-vi.xml has no icon references:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mime-type xmlns="http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/shared-mime-info" type="application/x-labview-vi">
  <!--Created automatically by update-mime-database. DO NOT EDIT!-->
  <comment>LabVIEW Virtual Instrument</comment>
  <comment xml:lang="de">LabVIEW Virtual Instrument</comment>
  <comment xml:lang="fr">LabVIEW Virtual Instrument</comment>
</mime-type>

Contrast this with epub+zip.xml (a random choice, any other mime file should do):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mime-type xmlns="http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/shared-mime-info" type="application/epub+zip">
  <!--Created automatically by update-mime-database. DO NOT EDIT!-->
  <comment>electronic book document</comment>
  <generic-icon name="x-office-document"/>
</mime-type>

See the icon entry?

I suspect that you need to add something like:

<generic-icon name="i-labview-vi"/>

to the mime file, and then regenerate the mime database. This applies to all of the NI mime files.

- Mike

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 12
(428 Views)