cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW unexpected close after trying to delete orphaned subdiagram label

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello folks,

First off, am very excited to see quite a few people already using LabVIEW on Linux. I just started out a couple of months ago. (Am continuing to use LV on Windows where necessary.)

Wondering if anybody else is facing the issue stated asunder; and what the fix is, if available.

My working environment:

IDE: LabVIEW 2020 SP1 64-bit Pro

OS: openSUSE Leap 15.2 x86_64 with the latest official updates

Desktop: GNOME (as reported by `echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP`)

Steps to reproduce the problem:

1. Create any of 'case', 'for loop', 'while loop' or 'diagram disable' structures in a VI block diagram.
  2. Ensure sub-diagram label is shown. (In my case, LV options was set to make this default. I also reproduced the problem by turning off the LV option to show subdiagram label.)
  3. Remove the structure, even if it is empty, by right-clicking border and selecting 'Remove <Structure Name> Structure'. (Alternatively: Select the structure with a mouse click and then use Quick Drop shortcut Ctrl-Space Ctrl-Shift-R).
  4. PROBLEM: The structure is removed, but its label remains on the block diagram. I can edit its content and move the bottom edge; but I cannot move or remove the label.
  5. PROBLEM: Trying various keyboard/mouse actions, this one crashed LabVIEW - Right-click on the orphaned label and select 'Properties'. LabVIEW IDE disappears. It is no longer running per my system monitor.

I don't know where to look for LabVIEW's log files, if any. Will be happy to provide those and any pertinent info needed to diagnose the problem better.

EDIT: This problem was not reproducible in LabVIEW (same version but 32-bit) running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,270 Views)

Hey Dhakkan,

Did you find out anything about this bug? Or discovered a solution to delete the "Subdiagram Label"?
I am also aware of this error. As soon as I delete a structure and I didn't pay attention to the label, I quickly press ctrl+z. But recently I forgot to do it and now the label is hanging around pointlessly in my code.

I also use Linux 2020 under OpenSUSE 15.2.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,191 Views)

@Y-not wrote:

Hey Dhakkan,

Did you find out anything about this bug? Or discovered a solution to delete the "Subdiagram Label"?

Unfortunately, no and no.

I now avoid the situation altogether by first removing the label; and then removing the structure. It's become a brainless habit.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,182 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dhakkan

Thank you for reporting this issue.  I was able to reproduce the crash on CentOS 8 with LabVIEW 2019 SP1.  I only saw the crash if I deleted the containing structure by right clicking the border and selecting "Remove ..." from the context menu.  You do not see the problem if you select the structure and then delete it by pressing the Delete key on the keyboard.

I have filed an internal bug report (internal reference number is Bug 1439145).

FYI for LabVIEW-specific issues, you will get better visibility by posting to the LabVIEW discussion forum, even if it is only a Linux-specific issue.

Brian Alexander

Principal Software Engineer

NI

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,159 Views)

I discovered this fun issue on CentOS 7 and LabVIEW 2019 64-bit as well.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
Senior Systems Analyst II
NASA Ames Research Center
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,146 Views)

Thanks for your feedback! @balexand

I also tried it again with right click -> "Remove..." and only pressing Delete. I hadn't noticed it until then. In practice, I mainly use the right-click, because I keep the inner code.

I also only came across this thread by chance and thought that this problem was due to my computer or the installation, as I am a beginner with Linux. Previously I worked only with Windows.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,132 Views)

@balexand wrote:

I have filed an internal bug report (internal reference number is Bug 1439145).

FYI for LabVIEW-specific issues, you will get better visibility by posting to the LabVIEW discussion forum, even if it is only a Linux-specific issue.

Thank you, Brian, especially for the tip!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,121 Views)

I'm happy to report that this bug has been fixed in LabVIEW 2021!  Thank you for helping us improve the quality of LabVIEW!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,064 Views)

Thank you, Brian, for closing the loop here.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,045 Views)