Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW executables and IceWM

Documentation says that LabVIEW executables will run in Gnome and KDE environments (and they do). Does anyone know if they will run under IceWM windows manager? I would like to use IceWM because it sounds like it is easier to configure it for a "kiosk" look (hide taskbar, etc.)

Thanks,

Sergey L.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,333 Views)

I guess that the window manager (and the enviroment) is not important, as LabView does not use any gnome or kde components.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,456 Views)

I haven't tried any executables but I routinely run the LabVIEW development environment under both xfce and fvwm with no

problems.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,456 Views)

LabVIEW supports native look and feel (to some extent) for KDE and Gnome, but it does not require either one. All of that functionality is in separate shared libraries which we dynamically load if necessary. LabVIEW should work fine in any window manager.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,456 Views)

Labview does not offer a native look and feel to neither KDE nor to GNOME.

- It doesn't support native font rendering through freetype, cairo, xft or fontconfig. I have a CAR filed by my local NI rep on this, yet to hear from NI.

- It does not pick up the same color schemes as that of the DE

- It does not use the GNOME, KDE or Qt file picker dialog

- LV does not pick up the fonts if they're loaded in /usr/share/fonts/truetype (TTF), and re-scanned through fc-cache -fv. It uses an arcane mkfontscale & mkfontdir to pick up the registered font.

But, yes..Labview will work fine under any DE, provided you have the right fonts (Tahoma) and right font rendering packages installed, without which LV would be unbearable to look at under Linux.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,456 Views)

I was referring to the appearance of the system controls, not the overall UI. If it makes you feel any better, we don't have a completely native look and feel on any platform.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,456 Views)