Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW + drivers: Fedora 28 (Kernel 4.20.14) compatibility

Hey Linux experts,

For certain reasons I am required to use Fedora 28 as my Linux platform. I have successfully installed LabVIEW 2018 on my dev machine even though it's not officially supported. 

As for drivers, the rpm packages should theoretically be compatible with Fedora. (i.e. I can install them). However, after installing VISA 18.2 for CentOS following the instructions for supported systems, LabVIEW will crash.

I have the visa palette available. As soon as I try to drop a VISA port constant, LabVIEW will close. When run from the terminal, it will present me with the error

libnipalu.so failed to initialize

Verify that nipalk.ko is built and loaded.

I understand that these libs are platform and kernel dependent. Where are good resources for me to troubleshoot and fix this?

Any other good suggestions for a relative Linux newbie?

Thanks

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,976 Views)

I have great experience with centos 7.4 and labview 2017 and Visa 18.

I have all files and for all works fine. If you want some help to start with this setup O can help you.

For fedora I really don't know how to do.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,961 Views)

I have drivers working with Fedora 28 kernel 4.16.3.  I used RHEL8 rpm to get repository etc...

I think RHEL8 is based on kernel 4.18 so might try and stay at 4.18 or lower?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,696 Views)

@dirtyb15 wrote:

I have drivers working with Fedora 28 kernel 4.16.3.  I used RHEL8 rpm to get repository etc...

I think RHEL8 is based on kernel 4.18 so might try and stay at 4.18 or lower?

I just installed the RHEL8_CentOS8.rpm package on Fedora 30, which comes with kernel 5.0.9.  Outside of having to do the yum install kernel-devel-`uname -r` trick to get the proper version of the kernel headers, everything worked just as expected.  I haven't actually used the software, but the modules installed, built, and loaded.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,681 Views)

Interesting... Can you try installing ni-visa then running visaconf?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,675 Views)

For certain reasons I am required to use Fedora 28 as my Linux platform. I have successfully installed LabVIEW 2018 on my dev machine even though it's not officially supported. 

As for drivers, the rpm packages should theoretically be compatible with Fedora. (i.e. I can install them). However, after installing VISA 18.2 for CentOS following the instructions for supported systems, LabVIEW will crash.

Okay... Try this

sudo dnf install "kernel-devel-uname-r == $(uname -r)"

then

sudo dkms autoinstall

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,671 Views)

@dirtyb15 wrote:

Interesting... Can you try installing ni-visa then running visaconf?

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,666 Views)

Summary of steps:

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,662 Views)

On fedora 30 here, could not get kernel 5.2 to work, had to revert back to 5.0.9

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,602 Views)

dkms autoinstall report:

nicartenumk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk nipalk
nicdcck/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nicdrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nidmxfk nimdbgk nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nichenumk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nifslk nimdbgk nipalk
nicmrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nidmxfk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nistc3rk
nicondrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdrk nidimk nidmxfk nilmsk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nisdigk nistc3rk
nicsrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdcck nicdrk nichenumk nidimk nidmxfk nifresnelmbdc nifslk nilmsk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nistc3rk
nidimk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: niorbk nipalk
nidmxfk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nidsark/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nidimk nilmsk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nistc2k nistcrk
niesrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nifdrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdcck nicdrk nichenumk nidimk nidmxfk nifresnelmbdc nifslk nilmsk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nistc3rk
nifresnelmbdc/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk nipalk
nifslk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk nipalk
nihorbrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdrk nidimk nidmxfk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nisdigk nistc3rk
nilmsk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nidmxfk nimdbgk nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nimdbgk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: niorbk nipalk
nimru2k/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nidimk nimdbgk nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nimsdrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nidmxfk nimdbgk nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nimxdfk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk niorbk nipalk
niorbk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nipalk
nipxifpk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nipxirmk
nipxigpk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nipxirmk
nipxirmk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nidimk nimdbgk niorbk nipalk
niraptrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdrk nidimk nidmxfk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nisdigk nistc3rk
niscdk/19.1.0f1 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nisdigk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdrk nidimk nidmxfk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nissrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdrk nidimk nidmxfk nilmsk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nisdigk nistc2k nistcrk nitiork
nistc2k/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk nipalk
nistc3rk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdcck nidimk nidmxfk nifslk nilmsk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nistcrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nidmxfk nilmsk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nistc2k
niswdk/19.1.0f1 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdrk nidimk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nitiork/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdrk nidimk nidmxfk nilmsk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
NiViPciK/19.2.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nipalk
niwfrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdrk nidimk nidmxfk nilmsk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nistc2k nistcrk
nixsrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdrk nidimk nidmxfk nifslk nilmsk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nisdigk nitiork

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,266 Views)