From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW + drivers: Fedora 28 (Kernel 4.20.14) compatibility

Hey Linux experts,

For certain reasons I am required to use Fedora 28 as my Linux platform. I have successfully installed LabVIEW 2018 on my dev machine even though it's not officially supported. 

As for drivers, the rpm packages should theoretically be compatible with Fedora. (i.e. I can install them). However, after installing VISA 18.2 for CentOS following the instructions for supported systems, LabVIEW will crash.

I have the visa palette available. As soon as I try to drop a VISA port constant, LabVIEW will close. When run from the terminal, it will present me with the error

libnipalu.so failed to initialize

Verify that nipalk.ko is built and loaded.

I understand that these libs are platform and kernel dependent. Where are good resources for me to troubleshoot and fix this?

Any other good suggestions for a relative Linux newbie?

Thanks

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,978 Views)

I have great experience with centos 7.4 and labview 2017 and Visa 18.

I have all files and for all works fine. If you want some help to start with this setup O can help you.

For fedora I really don't know how to do.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,963 Views)

I have drivers working with Fedora 28 kernel 4.16.3.  I used RHEL8 rpm to get repository etc...

I think RHEL8 is based on kernel 4.18 so might try and stay at 4.18 or lower?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,698 Views)

@dirtyb15 wrote:

I have drivers working with Fedora 28 kernel 4.16.3.  I used RHEL8 rpm to get repository etc...

I think RHEL8 is based on kernel 4.18 so might try and stay at 4.18 or lower?

I just installed the RHEL8_CentOS8.rpm package on Fedora 30, which comes with kernel 5.0.9.  Outside of having to do the yum install kernel-devel-`uname -r` trick to get the proper version of the kernel headers, everything worked just as expected.  I haven't actually used the software, but the modules installed, built, and loaded.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,683 Views)

Interesting... Can you try installing ni-visa then running visaconf?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,677 Views)

For certain reasons I am required to use Fedora 28 as my Linux platform. I have successfully installed LabVIEW 2018 on my dev machine even though it's not officially supported. 

As for drivers, the rpm packages should theoretically be compatible with Fedora. (i.e. I can install them). However, after installing VISA 18.2 for CentOS following the instructions for supported systems, LabVIEW will crash.

Okay... Try this

sudo dnf install "kernel-devel-uname-r == $(uname -r)"

then

sudo dkms autoinstall

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,673 Views)

@dirtyb15 wrote:

Interesting... Can you try installing ni-visa then running visaconf?

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,668 Views)

Summary of steps:

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,664 Views)

On fedora 30 here, could not get kernel 5.2 to work, had to revert back to 5.0.9

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,604 Views)

dkms autoinstall report:

nicartenumk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk nipalk
nicdcck/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nicdrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nidmxfk nimdbgk nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nichenumk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nifslk nimdbgk nipalk
nicmrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nidmxfk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nistc3rk
nicondrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdrk nidimk nidmxfk nilmsk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nisdigk nistc3rk
nicsrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdcck nicdrk nichenumk nidimk nidmxfk nifresnelmbdc nifslk nilmsk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nistc3rk
nidimk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: niorbk nipalk
nidmxfk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nidsark/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nidimk nilmsk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nistc2k nistcrk
niesrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nifdrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdcck nicdrk nichenumk nidimk nidmxfk nifresnelmbdc nifslk nilmsk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nistc3rk
nifresnelmbdc/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk nipalk
nifslk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk nipalk
nihorbrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdrk nidimk nidmxfk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nisdigk nistc3rk
nilmsk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nidmxfk nimdbgk nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nimdbgk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: niorbk nipalk
nimru2k/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nidimk nimdbgk nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nimsdrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nidmxfk nimdbgk nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nimxdfk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk niorbk nipalk
niorbk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nipalk
nipxifpk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nipxirmk
nipxigpk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nipxirmk
nipxirmk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nidimk nimdbgk niorbk nipalk
niraptrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdrk nidimk nidmxfk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nisdigk nistc3rk
niscdk/19.1.0f1 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nisdigk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdrk nidimk nidmxfk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nissrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdrk nidimk nidmxfk nilmsk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nisdigk nistc2k nistcrk nitiork
nistc2k/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nimdbgk nipalk
nistc3rk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdcck nidimk nidmxfk nifslk nilmsk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nistcrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nidmxfk nilmsk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nistc2k
niswdk/19.1.0f1 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdrk nidimk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
nitiork/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdrk nidimk nidmxfk nilmsk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk
NiViPciK/19.2.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nipalk
niwfrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdrk nidimk nidmxfk nilmsk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nistc2k nistcrk
nixsrk/19.5.0f0 autoinstall failed due to missing dependencies: nicdrk nidimk nidmxfk nifslk nilmsk nimdbgk nimru2k nimxdfk niorbk nipalk nisdigk nitiork

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,268 Views)