From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with DAQmx and openSUSE 10.3

I am having a time trying to get LabVIEW fully functional in Linux.  Count me in as another who requests LabVIEW to work in Debian based system.....   I am quite new at LabVIEW so excuse me for my ignorance on this but the developers in my group are used to using MAX for configuring hardware and exclusively have used Windows for LabVIEW development.  So for this reason I am thinking DAQmx will give them more familiar tools (not MAX) than using DAQmx Base for our hardware.  Most if not all the hardware we have is supported in DAQmx so am I correct to be trying to get DAQmx to work for performance and ease of hardware configuration instead of DAQmx Base?

The following is what I did prior to my attempt at loading DAQmx 8.0.1.  Installed openSUSE 10.3, Installed LabVIEW 8.6.1, installed NI-KAL 1.9, installed DAQmx Base 3.2

linux-f6ir:~ # uname -r
2.6.25.20-0.1-pae

I followed the steps above and everything worked until updateNIDrivers.  When I attempted updateNIDrivers:

Uninstalling NI-KAL (nikal): done
/bin/rm -rf objects
Updating NI-KAL:
NI-KAL update failed.

/bin/cp nikal.c objects/nikal.c
/bin/cp nikal.h objects/nikal.h
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.25.20-0.1-pae/source SUBDIRS=/usr/local/natinst/nikal/s
rc/objects modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.20-0.1'
  CC   /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nikal.o
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 1 modules
  CC      /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nikal.mod.o
  LD   /usr/local/natinst/nikal/src/objects/nikal.ko
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.20-0.1'
Installing NI-KAL (nikal): Starting NI-KAL failed!
make: *** [install] Error 1

ERROR: make of nikal kernel module failed, not installing kernel module.
   updateNIDrivers should be called again after fixing the problem.
   Logging failure...
   Include the file /tmp/niSystemReport.out.gz when contacting
   National Instruments for support.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,898 Views)

I was able to get the updateNIdrivers to working by removing a couple sticks memory.  Still have the general question if DAQmx is desireable over DAQmx Base however.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,968 Views)

This was already answered a while ago here so never mind my question.

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=250&thread.id=41740&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,968 Views)