From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a straight forward way to get NI-Visa, DAQmxBase, 488.2 working on Linux?

Hello,

Based on my experience the last few days trying to install NI-visa, daqmxbase, and 488.2 on linux, I no longer belive what is stated in the readme files provided by NI regarding what distributions are 'supported'.

I would like to install the latest NI versions now available, ideally:

NI-visa 5.1.2

DAQmxBase v3.5

NI 488.2, v2.9

Is there a straight forward way to get these working?  I am open to using any distribution.

From what I have learned, NI linux software supports only 32bit systems, or 64bit systems running in a 32bit mode of some sort.  I can live with a 32 bit linux installation, but which one works?

Recently, trying to install NI-visaa 5.1.2 on SL5.8 32 bit, there were errors regarding the kernel source.  Could not proceed to the other packages.

In the past, I have tried opensuse and centos without sucess.

I have to belive that there is some distribution that NI software engineers acutally use, and that these NI packages will install to, without spending hours debuging.   If so, please let me know.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,026 Views)

Good question??

I have been trying to install VISA and GPIB on many versions and no success.

There is somwthing wrong with the drivre instalation and NI is not doing much help!!

very disaponting

Behzad

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,254 Views)

Can you guys provide more details as to what those errors were? The more details you put, the more we can debug it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,254 Views)

Based on my experience the last few days trying to install NI-visa, daqmxbase, and 488.2 on linux, I no longer belive what is stated in the readme files provided by NI regarding what distributions are 'supported'.

Correct. This stuff is completely unsupported and just gambling.

Proprietary kernel drivers just don't work reliably on Linux. (already explained it a dozen of times here in the forum).

Even trying to get something working in some specific configurations is a huge, expensive task.

In contrast: developing clean IIO/Comedi drivers afresh and submitting them to mainline would take a few weeks per device. And there wouldn't be any need for the gigantic stack of daqmx, nikal and friends.

Is there a straight forward way to get these working?  I am open to using any distribution.

No. It's always a lot of handicraft work, gambling and praying. 

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,404 Views)