From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing NIDAQ800_RedHat on Fedora 10 or 11 - Kernel source in <kernel>/source does not appear to be configured for the <kernel>

Apologies for revisiting what seems to be an ongoing problem.  I posted this in the 'Multifunction DAQ' discussion group before being redirected here.

I've been testing an app for the PCI-6224 on Fedora 9 (32-bit) on a 32-bit MoBo with AMD processor.  I am building an instrument which is powered by a mini-ITX w/ Intel 330 atom processor.  I thought I would try the latest (Fedora 11) while I was at it, but can drop back to 9 if necessary.

I cannot seem to install NIDAQ800_RedHat.  When I...

mount -o loop /root/NI/NIDAQ800_RedHat.iso /mnt
cd /mnt
./INSTALL

I get the error...

Kernel source in /lib/modules/2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i686.PAE/source does not appear to be
configured for the 2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i686.PAE kernel.

There is a number of posts addressing this error, mostly centered on SuSe which call for 'make cloneconfig'.  That is not present on Fedora.  I haven't seen this before in the several times I have done this on Fedora (first on F7, then F9) and now F11.  Could this be associated with the PAE kernel?  Any suggestions?

I did a clean Fedora 10 install on the box which did not, by default install the PAE kernel on the Atom machine  a got a similar result.

Kernel source in /lib/modules/2.6.27.30-170.2.82.fc10.i686/source does not appear to be
configured for the 2.6.27.30-170.2.82.fc10.i686 kernel

I have verified that I have installed the 'kernel', 'kernel-headers', and 'kernel-devel' packages and all have the same '2.6.27.30-170.2.82.fc10' revision.  The only anomaly I found is that the headers refer to i386 and everything else is i686, but I have a hard time thinking 'C' source headers could present a problem.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,383 Views)

Hi John,

If your version of 'kernel' and 'kernel-devel' match then you should be OK on Fedora.  The problem that you are running into is likely caused by the old version of NI-DAQmx/NI-KAL.  Right now the latest version of NI-DAQmx is 8.0.1:

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/1194/lang/en

In addition to using the latest NI-DAQmx it is usually a good idea to install the latest version of NI-KAL (currently 1.10):

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/1304/lang/en

Of course after saying all of that I think you will be unsuccessful installing on Fedora 11 (maybe Fedora 10 too?).  Currently NI-KAL 1.10 will not work on kernel 2.6.29 and newer.  Hopefully the next version of NI-KAL will solve the problems with newer kernels, but for now I would recommend using a distribution with 2.6.28 or older.

Shawn Bohrer

National Instruments

Use NI products on Linux? Come join the NI Linux Users Community
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,004 Views)

Exactly so, Shawn.  This I figured out after lots of searching and it's always in the last place you look.  Perhaps we could find a place to post the "latest and greatest" with an eye to the unsupported OSs.  Or perhaps I should learn to look better

I did find that Fedora 11 does NOT build  properly, but Fedora 10 did.  I got as far are running 'nilsdev' and seeing the card, so I think I am out of the woods.

For those of you who get here by searching for the error message, download the files Shawn has listed above and complete the following steps, but there is no need to reboot until after 'updateNIDrivers':

# Patch modpost

cd /usr/src/kernels/$(uname -r)
sed -i "s/#define SZ 500/#define SZ 1024/" scripts/mod/modpost.c
make -k modules_prepare

#Install NIDAQ
mount -o loop /root/NI/DAQmx801f0.iso /mnt
cd /mnt
./INSTALL
cd
umount /mnt

#Install NIKAL

mount -o loop /root/NI/NIKAL110.iso /mnt
cd /mnt
./INSTALL
cd
umount /mnt

#Update drivers

cd /usr/local/natinst
updateNIDrivers

# Take the reboot option taken when presented by 'updateNIDrivers'

Log files are attached for a successful F10 install and an unsuccessful F11 install.  Perhaps someone else can address the F11 issues, I've got to get something delivered so I'll stick with F10 for the moment.

Thanks for the help, Shawn!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,004 Views)

Hey John,

JohnNavratil wrote:

# Patch modpost

cd /usr/src/kernels/$(uname -r)
sed -i "s/#define SZ 500/#define SZ 1024/" scripts/mod/modpost.c
make -k modules_prepare

You shouldn't need to do this if you use NI-DAQmx 8.0.1

JohnNavratil wrote:

#Install NIDAQ
mount -o loop /root/NI/DAQmx801f0.iso /mnt
cd /mnt
./INSTALL
cd
umount /mnt

#Install NIKAL

mount -o loop /root/NI/NIKAL110.iso /mnt
cd /mnt
./INSTALL
cd
umount /mnt

I would install NI-KAL 1.10 first, but it probably doesn't make a difference in this case.

Log files are attached for a successful F10 install and an unsuccessful F11 install.  Perhaps someone else can address the F11 issues, I've got to get something delivered so I'll stick with F10 for the moment.

Thanks for the help, Shawn!

I haven't looked at the F11 log because it is still queued.  I do know that you will have problems with init_mm no longer exported in the kernel.  You can always rebuild the kernel and re-export init_mm.  There may be other problems that I'm not aware of.  Hopefully the next release of NI-KAL will fix these problems.

Shawn Bohrer

National Instruments

Use NI products on Linux? Come join the NI Linux Users Community
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,004 Views)