Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing NI-DAQmx 8.0.1 on openSUSE

I'm using one of such dongles (to be specific a PL-2303) for communication to one of our hardware devices and for some reason I couldn't get it to communicate through NI-VISA on Labview. I've configured everything through visaconf and added the device as /dev/ttyUSB0 when connected. The strange part is that it works on Mandriva 2008.1 and does'nt work on Opensuse 11.0 (which is the newer kernel)

Edit: I was able to successfully use NI-VISA on a native serial port (not through the dongle). However, I can communicate only when I'm logged in as root and not as a regular user. Any reason why this could happen?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 30
(962 Views)

The native serial port works as root because of the permissions of the serial port.  I don't have a openSUSE 11.0 machine in front of me, but on my machine:

ls -l /dev/ttyS0

crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 2008-12-03 04:18 /dev/ttyS0

So only root and members of the group uucp can read and write from the port.  Typically you just add all users that need access to the serial port to the uucp group.  You should double check the permissions of the ports on your system including ttyUSB0.

Use NI products on Linux? Come join the NI Linux Users Community
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 30
(962 Views)

hello,

I followd the installation , Installation went sussessful but getting a problem as i couldnot see th text, all the texts are looking lik square.

i couldnt read anything, please help me.

U ised opensuse 10.3 and LabVIEW 8.6.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 30
(962 Views)

Where is the text showing up as squares?  In LabVIEW?  On the command line?  Are you using KDE or Gnome?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 30
(962 Views)

It looks like you're receiving help here -- http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&view=by_date_ascending&message.id=383044#M383044

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 30
(962 Views)

All the text in the LabVIEW front Panel, Menus Everythign showins as Square lik...

Control Names, Functions name everything as lik that only !!

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 30
(962 Views)

labview nstalled Successfully. I dont knw how to configure the Card..

sankar:~ # nilsdev
NI PCI-6518: "Dev1"

sankar:~ # nidaqmxconfig

Usage: nidaqmxconfig [ --import <filename> [--eraseconfig [--preserveabsentdevices] ] ] | [--export <filename>] [-y | -n] [--help]

Pleas help me

sankar.s

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 30
(962 Views)

I don't think you should need to do anything to "configure" the card.  The nidaqmxconfig is used to rename DAQ devices or to configure more complicated setups like SCXI.  For your device just open LabVIEW and go to Help>>Find Examples.  Then look under Hardware Input and Output >> DAQmx >> Digital Generation or Digital Measurements for examples of how to program the card using LabVIEW.  You should also be able to run Test Panels from the command line by typing in DAQmxTestPanels.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 30
(962 Views)

Thanks Neil...Now its working properly.

One more help, Is it possible to use USB 6008 ( Opensuse 10.3,LABVIEW 8.6).

I installed both DAQ 3.2 and DAQ 8.01.

If yes, how i can do data acquisition with this USB ???

Sankar.s

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 30
(962 Views)

As discussed earlier in this same thread, NI-DAQmx Base supports USB devices in Linux.  If you want to use your NI USB-6008, you'll need to use NI-DAQmx Base instead of NI-DAQmx.  You can get it here:

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/1076

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 30
(962 Views)