From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing NI-DAQmx 8.0.1 on openSUSE

1. Before running the installer, you must have the following compiler facities installedfrom your Linux distribution CD or other Linux distribution medium:
    1. The GCC compiler and C++ support
    2. The make Utility
    3. The kernel source files for building kernel module that exactly correspond to the kernel version you are running. For openSUSE this is the kernel-source package.
    4. The Mesa package (if you want TestPanels to run)
  2. As root run the following:

cd /lib/modules/`uname -r`/source/

make cloneconfig

make modules_prepare

3. Download NI-DAQmx 8.0.1
  4. As root mount the NI-DAQmx 8.0.1 iso

mkdir /mnt/daqmx

mount -t iso9660 -o loop nidaqmx801.iso /mnt/daqmx

5. Run the installation script

cd /mnt/daqmx

./INSTALL

6. Follow the prompts to install the driver, rebooting if necessary
  7. As root run updateNIDrivers and reboot
  8. After reboot, open the terminal and type

nilsdev

to list installed devices
  9. To allow DAQmxTestPanels to run, run the following as root

mkdir /usr/local/lib/linux

ln -s /usr/lib/libOSMesa.so.6 /usr/local/lib/linux/libOSMesa.so.4

10. Run DAQmxTestPanels by running

DAQmxTestPanels --devid=<deviceidentifier>

where <deviceidentifier> is the identifier shown when running nilsdev.

5495,Tutorial,BestPractices,BestPractices,en,en,5495,5495,BestPractices,en,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 30
(10,981 Views)

Hi, The README says that USB devices will not be supported due to the kernel restricting access to the USB drivers since they're not GPL compatible. Is this going to be addressed anytime soon? Is there a workaround for this?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 30
(5,204 Views)

Unfortunately there isn't a workaround for this.  It is a pretty big problem that would require significant resources to resolve.  While there aren't plans to address this at the current time, the more feedback we here the more it will be considered.  Right now the only recommendation is to use the NI-DAQmx Base driver.  This obviously doesn't support all National Instruments USB devices, and it doesn't have all the functionality of NI-DAQmx, but for some it is sufficient.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 30
(5,204 Views)

How about sending a fake string when you encounter a kernel version higher than 2.6.25? The fake license string would say that this is GPL compatible and thus allow access to the usbcore driver which has been locked by the EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL flag?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 30
(5,204 Views)

Our driver is not GPL and as such we will not "fake" that it is.  Sorry, for right now USB from the NI-DAQmx driver is not a real possibility.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 30
(5,204 Views)

Using a fake string is a technical possibility, but I'm sure the NI legal team would not approve.  This also goes against the author's wishes and intent and thus I think it is best that NI respect those wishes.

As it stands right now NI-DAQmx Base provides USB support entirely from user-mode, and thus isn't affected.  Adding USB support to NI-DAQmx is more complicated since much of our existing architecture expects USB APIs in the kernel.  We are investigating the possibilities of adding that support from user-mode, or through a GPL compatible kernel component though both solutions will require a lot of work and time.

The only Linux drivers we currently have that use the USB support in the kernel is our NI-488.2 GPIB driver.  Since the nikal.c file is provided to you as source code I'm sure you could do some creative things to get the USB support back on newer kernels.

Use NI products on Linux? Come join the NI Linux Users Community
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 30
(5,204 Views)

Thanks Neil and Shawn...I'll look into doing something with the nikal.c file. The newer kernels and by extension newer distros like Mandriva 2009 and Opensuse 11.0 are off limits for my application as they require some USB port access. I would imagine that I cannot use NI-VISA (Serial Port) too in the newer kernels due to this entire EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL thingy.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 30
(5,204 Views)

Like I said the only NI products that were previously supported, but now are not on newer kernels is the GPIB-USB-HS, and GPIB-USB-B.  Everything else is done from user-mode, or simply has not been supported yet.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 30
(5,204 Views)

Shawn, is it possible then to have a generic USB-Serial dongle working on Mandriva 2009/Opensuse 11.0 through the NI-VISA drivers?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 30
(5,204 Views)

Generic (as in not NI) USB-Serial dongles should work just fine through NI-VISA.  This of course assumes that the generic USB-Serial dongle has a native Linux driver that is GPL licensed (many do).

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 30
(5,204 Views)