From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely small IDE graphics (icons, wires, FP, etc.)

So I bought a new laptop with an unreasonable screen resolution of more than 250dpi. I'm using gnome as WM. There are some general settings for WM fonts and a few more decorations, which can be set to scale (e.g. 200%), but not all applications are aware of them, nor I think it is reasonable to expect it in the linux ecosystem.

Labview is among those which don't and stay put in pixel size. A standard BD icon of 32px is less than 3mm high, which is quite straining, and all the rest in proportion. I note that the problem doesn't exist in windows (same laptop), except perhaps for some glitches about the pointer size reported elsewhere.

Any other experience like that? any solution? In my case reducing the screen resolution is not even that much of an option, the graphic card of this laptop doesn't have a mode which is exactly a submultiple of the native resolution in both dimensions. I mean native is 3200x1800 but there is no 1600x900, either 1600x something else or something else  x900, so any lower mode would be blurry. Also increasing all application fonts alone is more a problem than a solution.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,018 Views)

@Enrico_Segre

Labview is among those which don't and stay put in pixel size. A standard BD icon of 32px is less than 3mm high, which is quite straining, and all the rest in proportion.

*facepalm* 

@NI: GUI dimensions have to be programmed in pt not px - that's why the Xserver tells the display *resolutions* (px per pt). Any decent widget/graphics toolkit does the scaling on its own, if you ask it to. Just use them instead of hacking up something on your own.

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,953 Views)

There is actually a sort of a workaround, which is to use run_scaled (see e.g. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI#Unsupported_applications , https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/workarounds-for-apps-that-dont-support-hidpi/15875 ).

I still have to get fully around it, but it has potential. My current issues are sometimes random location and spurious window decorations for popups (e.g. menus, tooltips), and honoring english rather than my default hebrew keyboard mapping.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,922 Views)