From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Linux software base support Simulated Devices?

I've only ever used National Instruments products through the DAQmx Base drivers via C programs so I'm not sure what capabilities I may or may not have on Linux. 

I saw today that DAQmx 7.4 and later supports "Simulated Devices" that allow one to make calls into the NI driver without having those devices physically present. 

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/3698/en/#toc2

I'd love something like this in order to benchmark my Linux code on a variety of platforms- is it possible to use Simulated Devices on Linux?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,196 Views)
@sf900 wrote:

I've only ever used National Instruments products through the DAQmx Base drivers via C programs so I'm not sure what capabilities I may or may not have on Linux.

I hope you're aware that only a few specific distros - in pretty old versions - are supported. Proprietary drivers just don't work reliably on GNU/Linux.

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,182 Views)

Hi metux,

I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Is there another C API other than DAQmx Base?

For what it's worth, I've never had serious problems with the DAQmx Base driver other than critically bad documentation.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,178 Views)

I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Is there another C API other than DAQmx Base?

The right solution would be writing proper IIO drivers. But as long as NI is keeping the necessary specs a state secret, it will require a lot of reverse engineering work.

Just buying hw from a more professional vendor like is much cheaper.

I've once evaluated the crios for some clients. Conclusion: unusable for us.

For what it's worth, I've never had serious problems with the DAQmx Base driver other than critically bad documentation. 

Maybe you're fine w/ some specific, old, unsupported distro and kernel.

Maybe you're fine w/ a broken cpu architecture called x86.

Maybe you're fine w/ a ugly proprietary API, instead of IIO.

--mtx

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,174 Views)