From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't install NI USB 6210 on Unbuntu 12.04???

Thank you for your patience and kind heart.

Yes, I have to use ubuntu, because our robot system is based on ubuntu. If the driver can not been installed, it will be a very big problem for me to carry on further work.  I will try to look for other solutions.

Thank you so much.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 28
(2,080 Views)

Ubuntu 12.04 uses a 3.2 series kernel so you won't be able to use usb devices with it. If you have some linux program experience (or you know someone who has), you can still modify the nikal.c source so that it includes support for usb and also loads on your kernel. Otherwise you would have to fall back to very ancient distros (e.g. Centos 5) which still use very old kernels. I successfully use Centos 6.4 with HS-USB GPIO and USB-621x DAQ card.

Message 12 of 28
(2,080 Views)

Thank you very much for your guide. I have to work on Ubuntu12.04 because of the interaction with other system.

I will try to modify nikal.c. Do you have experience in modifying this file?

Thank you

John

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 28
(2,080 Views)

Try to understand what EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL, and draw your conclusion.. Logically, this is licensing collision problem that is deliberately put into the code. Fixing it will then require you to change the license to make it compatible, which you have no legal right to do.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 28
(2,080 Views)

Thank you!  Do you mean modifing the files is impossible?   It is really a big problem.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 28
(2,080 Views)

I think it may be the  NI-VISA installation which caused the failure .Can you give me some new ways to install NI-VISA?

Thank you.

John

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 28
(2,080 Views)

Pretty much all of our software in the kernel funnels to ni-kal. So as long as your target device is that USB device and you haven't solved the licensing problem, nothing on top would work.    

Message 17 of 28
(2,080 Views)

John,

If you are only planning to use USB devices with DAQmx Base and NI-VISA, I might have a workaround for you. It seems the issue you are having is that nipal isn't loading. NI-VISA doesn't use nipal to access USB devices on Linux. Therefore, we can potentially disable parts of VISA that try to load and use nipal to see if that works for you. I am assuming that you successfully installed DAQmx Base and NI-VISA.

Normally, we don't suggest changing NI-VISA settings manually. But, if nipal doesn't load, the NI-VISA utility that can be used to change those settings can't be used either. So, I will help you change your settings manually to see if that resolves the issue you are seeing. The file you need to change is "/usr/local/vxipnp/linux/NIvisa/Passport/nivisa.ini". Please ensure that you make a backup copy of this file before changing it.

In that file, you should see entries such as LibNameX and passportEnabledX, where X is a number. Find the entries for which LibName value is "libnivi488.so" and "libnivipxi.so", and change their corresponding passportEnabled values to 0 (they are initially 1). This will disable the parts of VISA that rely on nipal. After this change, you won't be able to use PCI or GPIB devices with NI-VISA. But this should enable VISA to load without PAL and let you access the USB resources. Please let me know if this helps or if you run into other issues.

Thanks,
Pankaj

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 28
(2,080 Views)

Hi Pankaj,

Thank you very very much.You are very smart. I make it !!!.

$ lsdaq

Detecting National Instruments DAQ Devices

Found the following DAQ Devices:

NI USB-6210: "Dev1"    (USB0::0x3923::0x726F::0188A9A3::RAW)

I only use USB devices with DAQmx Base and NI-VISA for detecting analog signals.

Also thanks irwan, you are excellent and patient.

Thank you so much

Best regards,

John

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 28
(2,080 Views)

Hi  Pankaj,

I have another problem that the LED doesn't lit up when I plug it out and then plug it in.

I ran

#  lsusb

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 3923:7269 National Instruments Corp.

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 2717:904e 

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 1c4f:0002 SiGma Micro Keyboard TRACER Gamma Ivory

When I ran

~#  lsdaq

--------------------------------

Detecting National Instruments DAQ Devices

Found the following DAQ Devices:

--------------------------------

Can you help me how to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot.

John

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 28
(2,080 Views)