Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone recommend a x86 Mini PC to run a Linux LabVIEW executable?

Hello everybody,

During the past months there has been an explosion of Mini PC devices with pretty amazing HW specs for their size.  They've been used use mostly on "old" TV's to make them "smart". http://androidyo.com/2013/01/14/android-mini-pc-comparison-chart/  Most of these Mini PCs run natively in Android OS but there's a bunch of people installing light Linux distros such as PuppyLinux or even Ubuntu 12.04. 

I'd like to generate a Linux executable using my work PC (Running with an x86 processor, OpenSUSE and Linux LabVIEW 2012) and run that executable on one of those Mini PCs (running mostly on ARM processors) with any Linux distro installed.

According to "Linux LabVIEW Installation Guide", target devices where we want to run our executables need to have the Runtime Engine installed, and one of the requisites to do so, is that the target device has a processor with an x86 architecture.  So I guess that if I want to stick to a Mini PC with ARM architecture I'm fu***d (x86 is imperative).  I also read this other thread https://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/12875 and it made me realize that there's not much hope pointing in that direction.

So I guess I have to look for a target mini PC running on x86 to put my Linux distro on, and then run the executable on it.  These guys on Gigabyte have some small units, but I'm looking for extreme small (more like usb-stick type).  Would anyone please recommend me some other mini PC's running on a x86 processor, and if possible of the usb-stick type?

Best regards,

Antonio

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(14,457 Views)

This is probably as small as it gets for the moment, using an Atom CPU. Unfortunately it seems not yet available.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,375 Views)

Hi Antonio,

I have a miniPC named ebox working with labview 8.2 and VISA 4.5 on Opensuse 10.3 (maybe I will make a manual about how to install all). My experience with these types of devices is short (only this miniPC) but I recomend you to check what is the architecture of the CPU that you want to buy. In my case nobody told me that the ebox´s CPU (Vortex) is a x586 (something equivalent a AMD K6). Finding a suitable operation system for this PC has been a nightmare. So, if you consider that your time is important please, select a known CPU, instalilling Visa (for example) will be easier taking into account that you need to install kernels modules.

Regards

Vicente

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,375 Views)

Hello guys, thanks for your replies and suggestions.  I understand Vicente's nightmare, there's a bunch of new multi core processors out there installed on mini-ITX motherboards with different architectures.  I've seen that VIA Technologies, Freescale, AMD, and a bunch of brands based on ARM want to get in that "processor market wagon" and I'm really happy about it.  I remember those days when you either had to choose Intel or PowerPC.

The thing about processors running on mini-ITX motherboards is that you need a PSU with 3,5,+12,and -12VDC.  There's a small "PicoPSU" ACDC or DCDC (if you want to run on batteries) solution that can help, but it adds cost to the final product if you're thinking on mass-production.  Plus the min-ITX motherboards aren't truly "handheld".  The Kontron M2M solution that you suggested seems OK as, at least out of the box, it runs on 12VDC, but maybe internally also has some kind of picoPSU...nevertheless I'll keep an eye on it.l

Anyway If I want a quick and straight solution I guess I'll have to stick with Intel regardless of the size of mini-ITX motherboards and the poor power capabilities.  Please update if you find any "PC-on-a-stick" running on x86 (intel or any other brand)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,375 Views)

Hey, I am interested in this as well and have heard about the MinnowBoard, an Open Source embedded hardware platform, powered by an Intel Atom processor (so x86). Making a splash in the hacker/maker community as well as for professional product developers.

I will investigate this further if I have the time...

Message 5 of 6
(4,375 Views)

Hi Darxtar,

Do you find if the Labview executable running in the MinnowBoard?

Let me know

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,375 Views)