From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 NI Drivers on ubuntu.

@DerekJ wrote:

I am seeing the same error.  I could use those files.  It looks like I need to get a machine to do a CentOS install for just this type of scenario. 

At the end of the my .deb install, I got the following.  I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Errors were encountered while processing:
libnidrumc1-bin
ni-488.2-gpibenumsvc
ni-daqmx-ef
ni-pal-support
ni-roco
ni-visa-lxi-discovery

Each of those packages installs an init script to /etc/init.d (/etc/init.d/nidrum, /etc/init.d/gpibenumsvc, /etc/init.d/nidevldu, /etc/init.d/nipal, /etc/init.d/niroco, /etc/init.d/nilxid).  I suspect the conversion to deb didn't handle these properly for some reason.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 29
(4,482 Views)

I encountered similar errors at the end of my .deb install, I had the following

libnidrumc1-bin
ni-daqmx-ef
ni-pal-support
ni-roco

Only difference was each package still installed an init script to /etc/init.d. Has anyone got nipal to start?

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 29
(4,391 Views)

I have it running at work, but haven't been in to the office for a while now. If i have time ill try here...

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 29
(4,376 Views)

So.... just stumbled across this looks like someone is working on it?

http://download.ni.com/ni-linux-desktop/early-access/2019.12/

I added the repository and installed ni-visa, and ni-visa-conf, and support for labview.  After a reboot everything is running fine (As long as a run as sudo, i think i need to mess with visa user permissions.)

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 29
(4,370 Views)

@dirtyb15 wrote:

So.... just stumbled across this looks like someone is working on it?

http://download.ni.com/ni-linux-desktop/early-access/2019.12/

I added the repository and installed ni-visa, and ni-visa-conf, and support for labview.  After a reboot everything is running fine (As long as a run as sudo, i think i need to mess with visa user permissions.)

Great find! I added the .deb repo and installed ni-daqmx. Everything works as expected. Did run into the same issue with having to run as sudo - but doesnt seem to have an impact if only using the DAQmx API

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 29
(4,285 Views)

Hello,

Thank you for the link. I try to use NIDAQmx with a cDAQ-9171 on Ubuntu (Linux version 5.3.0-59 / Ubuntu 18.04.1).

I tried to use the repository given on the link above. But I do not know which package is needed to install (nidaq-mx do not want to install correctly : it says that some ni dependances are needed but they do not want to install). I am not Linux expert. Someone could help me?

Thank you in advance,

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 29
(4,179 Views)

For those who are trying to use the instructions presented here: https://forums.ni.com/t5/Linux-Users/2019-NI-Drivers-on-ubuntu/m-p/3957461#M3008, it appears some of the .deb files are trying to use chkconfig, which is not available on ubuntu based distros. I am not sure why it worked for dirtyb15. Here is the output that indicates the problem (when executing the dpkg -i ... command).

/var/lib/dpkg/info/ni-488.2-gpibenumsvc.postinst: line 3: /sbin/chkconfig: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package ni-488.2-gpibenumsvc (--configure):
installed ni-488.2-gpibenumsvc package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 127
Setting up ni-roco (19.0.0.49152-1) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/ni-roco.postinst: line 5: /sbin/chkconfig: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package ni-roco (--configure):
installed ni-roco package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 127
Setting up libnidrumc1-bin (19.0.1.49152-1) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libnidrumc1-bin.postinst: line 5: /sbin/chkconfig: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package libnidrumc1-bin (--configure):
installed libnidrumc1-bin package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 127
Setting up ni-daqmx-ef (19.1.0.49153-1) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/ni-daqmx-ef.postinst: line 4: /sbin/chkconfig: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package ni-daqmx-ef (--configure):
installed ni-daqmx-ef package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 127
Setting up ni-pal-support (19.0.0.49152-1) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/ni-pal-support.postinst: line 5: /sbin/chkconfig: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package ni-pal-support (--configure):
installed ni-pal-support package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 127

ni-488.2-gpibenumsvc
ni-roco
libnidrumc1-bin
ni-daqmx-ef
ni-pal-support
ni-visa-lxi-discovery
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 29
(2,604 Views)

@dirtyb15: Would you clarify what you mean by "added the repository"? I downloaded the .deb file (http://download.ni.com/ni-linux-desktop/early-access/2019.12/ni-software-2019_19.7.0.49152-0+f0_all....) and tried running dpkg -i on it, but it didn't seem to do anything. Is there a repository URL that needs to be added to sources.list?

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 29
(2,607 Views)

I gave up on dirtyb15's instructions. I poked around and figured out how to install nidaqmx on 19.2. The following worked for me on a fresh install of mint 19.2. No converting .rpm to .deb using alien. Just use apt install.

* First download the NI driver repository for Ubuntu (see: https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/downloads/drivers/download.ni-linux-device-drivers.html#350003). Then install the .deb file (I used GDebi Package Installer, but sudo apt install should work - the file name is ni-software-2020-bionic_20.1.0.49152-0+f0_all.deb)

* sudo apt update

* sudo apt install ni-daqmx

* reboot machine (important).

After reboot I successfully ran both nilsdev and nidaqmxconfig. I haven't tried using the nidaqmx installation with Labview community yet.

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 29
(2,582 Views)