Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 NI Drivers on ubuntu.

@DerekJ wrote:

I am seeing the same error.  I could use those files.  It looks like I need to get a machine to do a CentOS install for just this type of scenario. 

At the end of the my .deb install, I got the following.  I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Errors were encountered while processing:
libnidrumc1-bin
ni-488.2-gpibenumsvc
ni-daqmx-ef
ni-pal-support
ni-roco
ni-visa-lxi-discovery

Each of those packages installs an init script to /etc/init.d (/etc/init.d/nidrum, /etc/init.d/gpibenumsvc, /etc/init.d/nidevldu, /etc/init.d/nipal, /etc/init.d/niroco, /etc/init.d/nilxid).  I suspect the conversion to deb didn't handle these properly for some reason.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 29
(4,428 Views)

I encountered similar errors at the end of my .deb install, I had the following

libnidrumc1-bin
ni-daqmx-ef
ni-pal-support
ni-roco

Only difference was each package still installed an init script to /etc/init.d. Has anyone got nipal to start?

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 29
(4,337 Views)

I have it running at work, but haven't been in to the office for a while now. If i have time ill try here...

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 29
(4,322 Views)

So.... just stumbled across this looks like someone is working on it?

http://download.ni.com/ni-linux-desktop/early-access/2019.12/

I added the repository and installed ni-visa, and ni-visa-conf, and support for labview.  After a reboot everything is running fine (As long as a run as sudo, i think i need to mess with visa user permissions.)

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 29
(4,316 Views)

@dirtyb15 wrote:

So.... just stumbled across this looks like someone is working on it?

http://download.ni.com/ni-linux-desktop/early-access/2019.12/

I added the repository and installed ni-visa, and ni-visa-conf, and support for labview.  After a reboot everything is running fine (As long as a run as sudo, i think i need to mess with visa user permissions.)

Great find! I added the .deb repo and installed ni-daqmx. Everything works as expected. Did run into the same issue with having to run as sudo - but doesnt seem to have an impact if only using the DAQmx API

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 29
(4,231 Views)

Hello,

Thank you for the link. I try to use NIDAQmx with a cDAQ-9171 on Ubuntu (Linux version 5.3.0-59 / Ubuntu 18.04.1).

I tried to use the repository given on the link above. But I do not know which package is needed to install (nidaq-mx do not want to install correctly : it says that some ni dependances are needed but they do not want to install). I am not Linux expert. Someone could help me?

Thank you in advance,

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 29
(4,125 Views)

For those who are trying to use the instructions presented here: https://forums.ni.com/t5/Linux-Users/2019-NI-Drivers-on-ubuntu/m-p/3957461#M3008, it appears some of the .deb files are trying to use chkconfig, which is not available on ubuntu based distros. I am not sure why it worked for dirtyb15. Here is the output that indicates the problem (when executing the dpkg -i ... command).

/var/lib/dpkg/info/ni-488.2-gpibenumsvc.postinst: line 3: /sbin/chkconfig: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package ni-488.2-gpibenumsvc (--configure):
installed ni-488.2-gpibenumsvc package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 127
Setting up ni-roco (19.0.0.49152-1) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/ni-roco.postinst: line 5: /sbin/chkconfig: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package ni-roco (--configure):
installed ni-roco package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 127
Setting up libnidrumc1-bin (19.0.1.49152-1) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libnidrumc1-bin.postinst: line 5: /sbin/chkconfig: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package libnidrumc1-bin (--configure):
installed libnidrumc1-bin package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 127
Setting up ni-daqmx-ef (19.1.0.49153-1) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/ni-daqmx-ef.postinst: line 4: /sbin/chkconfig: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package ni-daqmx-ef (--configure):
installed ni-daqmx-ef package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 127
Setting up ni-pal-support (19.0.0.49152-1) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/ni-pal-support.postinst: line 5: /sbin/chkconfig: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package ni-pal-support (--configure):
installed ni-pal-support package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 127

ni-488.2-gpibenumsvc
ni-roco
libnidrumc1-bin
ni-daqmx-ef
ni-pal-support
ni-visa-lxi-discovery
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 29
(2,550 Views)

@dirtyb15: Would you clarify what you mean by "added the repository"? I downloaded the .deb file (http://download.ni.com/ni-linux-desktop/early-access/2019.12/ni-software-2019_19.7.0.49152-0+f0_all....) and tried running dpkg -i on it, but it didn't seem to do anything. Is there a repository URL that needs to be added to sources.list?

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 29
(2,553 Views)

I gave up on dirtyb15's instructions. I poked around and figured out how to install nidaqmx on 19.2. The following worked for me on a fresh install of mint 19.2. No converting .rpm to .deb using alien. Just use apt install.

* First download the NI driver repository for Ubuntu (see: https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/downloads/drivers/download.ni-linux-device-drivers.html#350003). Then install the .deb file (I used GDebi Package Installer, but sudo apt install should work - the file name is ni-software-2020-bionic_20.1.0.49152-0+f0_all.deb)

* sudo apt update

* sudo apt install ni-daqmx

* reboot machine (important).

After reboot I successfully ran both nilsdev and nidaqmxconfig. I haven't tried using the nidaqmx installation with Labview community yet.

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 29
(2,528 Views)