LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"cvi did not receive a reply to a debugging message"

What does this mean?  I have a project that I'm debugging and it promptly locks up.  I have to kill the debugger EXE, at which point the IDE comes back to life with this dialog.

2014-07-07 15_25_36-LabWindows_CVI Message.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,821 Views)

Hello,

Since that message appears after the debugger is ended in Task Manager, it's probablyt CVI just alerting you that the debugger is not responding because the debugger has been ended.

As for the lock up during debugging, does your project lock up in the same place every time, at start up, randomly? Did it always lock up in debug mode or did this just start occurring? More information would be helpful!

Taylor B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,796 Views)

Thanks, Taylor.  You are indeed correct.  I had to kill my cvi debugger EXE due to it hanging.  The project is also partly described here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabWindows-CVI/GetKeyPressEventVirtualKey-crashing-debug/m-p/2897946

What I found is that I was getting into real trouble by swallowing events in my virtual key decoder callback.  If I didn't swallow an event, the program would crash hard and I could no longer step through code.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,793 Views)

Since the error message appears to be CVI just alerting you that it did not hear from the debugger (which was stopped in Task Manager), the more important behavior is figuring out why the code locks up while debugging, which is being discussed in your other forum post.

Taylor B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,771 Views)