From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error: Multiply defined symbol

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

I just tried to migrate an application comipled and linked for the last ime in CVI 6.

I have created a new prject and workspace and added all the files including the lib-files.

Under CVI 6.0 everything compiled and linked fine.

Now with CVI 2013 compilining works fine but when linking I get the following error messages:

"Build Status (XSoft V5.prj - Release)
 Link XSoft V5.exe
  error: Multiply defined symbol '_Get_CardDesc@8' in 'D2K-Dask.lib' and 'PCI-Dask.lib'. 
  error: Multiply defined symbol '__imp__Get_CardDesc@8' in 'D2K-Dask.lib' and 'PCI-Dask.lib'. 
Build failed."

Any help?

Thanks

Andreas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,734 Views)

In an older version of CVI I have very occasionally seen such messages crop up after many edit-rebuild-run cycles in a lage project. The problem could be cleared by exiting and re-starting the CVI IDE, or by simply marking the project for compilation, IIRC. Never did trace it down or pursue it.

Your case sounds different, but you may want to try that since it is so easy to test.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,710 Views)

Thanks for your reply.

Meanwhile I found the solution: I had to use newer versions of the 2 LIBs/DLLs.

The CVI2013 Linker seems to be more restrictive than the one in CVI 6.0.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,695 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RTM

Hi RTM,

It looks as if this in not a CVI file which throws the error. If you only use one of the lib-files, do you have the same issue? If no then the issue is what the message tells you multiple definded.

How did you start analyzing the code?

Best Regards, Fabian

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,693 Views)

Hi Fabian

Thanks for your reply.

Meanwhile I solved the problem by using new DLL/LIBs.

It seems that the same definitions were defined in each LIB/DLL so the linker of CVI2013 seems to be more investigative.

Regards

Andreas

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,631 Views)