LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can not view constant while debugging since CVI 2015

I recognized it's not possible any more to view a constant while debugging since CVI 2015.

Example: #define CONSTANT1      1

For example if I have a constant defined, I can then right click “view variable value”.

Normally CVI then shows me the value.

Since CVI 2015 this doesn’t work anymore. I also tried with CVI 2017.

In our code we use many structs where the fields are defined by a constant.

Now when the debugger can’t view the constant any more it also won’t view the value of the struct.

Example: #define CONSTANT1      1

Int struct[10];

struct[CONSTANT1]  = 5;

Do you understand my problem?

Do you have any solution for this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,289 Views)

I understand your problem and can confirm it, obviously this is due to a rigid interpretation of the term "variable". So strictly speaking CVI here behaves correctly, even if it is not very practical for users.

I already commented on the advertisement text of CVI 2017 (claiming "faster development, quicker debugging, and greater insight into code functionality"). But frequently funds for advertising are larger than for development, unfortunately.

What can we do: Post this request in the Idea Exchange, maybe it will make it into a later version of CVI. I will support this suggestion...(a crumb of comfort) since I had suggested a similar idea for the UI constants here but so far without success, i.e., after almost five years its status is still 'New'...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,266 Views)

thanks for you quick response.

I now posted it at the Idea Exchange.

I hope this issue can be implemented soon.

I also don't understand why it doesn't work any more. It worked on all version before which I can remember.

basically this is the main reason why I didn't upgrade from CVI 2010 to 2015.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,254 Views)