Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

build does not create executable

Hi, I am moving from Labwindows 2012SR1 to Labwindows 2019

When i try to compile and run or debug (both 32 and 64 bit)I get the message

Build Status (multicars.prj - Debug)
Link multicars_dbg.exe
Failed to copy d:\Users\Langbein\MultiCars\cvibuild.multicars\Debug\multicars_dbg.exe to d:\Users\Langbein\MultiCars\multicars_dbg.exe. File not found
Build failed.

No further information about the issue is given. There are compiler warnings, but no errors

This is not a access rights issue, and the project compiles fine with Labwindows/CVI 2012 SR1

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,488 Views)

I'd try moving the entire project out of Users folder and see if it clears trhe error: under some circumstances the access to that folder is not allowed..

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(3,441 Views)

This was not the Windows user folder, so should not be a problem - I also tried directly on D:\, no change of behaviour

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,423 Views)

Paths are set in  Build >> Target Settings...  dialog: check there where the output file is expected to be.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried running one of the sample projects shipped with CVI? If that works then there is something wrong in your project file: you may try deleting entire cvibuild folder, next the .cws file and ultimately you may need to rebuild the entire project from scratch.

(3,418 Views)

The paths are set ok

An sample project builds ok, creating the executable

I have deleted the cvibuild folder, and also the cws, no difference.

I have not yet remade my project file...

Is there no way to get an error message from the linker to know why the executable is not created? all the obj files are there as far as I can tell

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,385 Views)

You also want to make sure you don't have any custom build steps that can produce a failure

Or try disabling the antivirus while building you project. Sometimes antivirus companies uses some heuristics to determine if an executable is infected and sometimes that heuristics has false positives.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,377 Views)

Are these options checked?

Screenshot 2020-03-16 13.00.30.png

If yes you should see the build log in the workspace window.

(3,369 Views)

Was there any resolution to this? We are have the same issue, moving from 2012SR1 to 2019. Verified all paths are correct in the project, deleted the build and .cws file. We get no Linker or Build errors, it just fails to create the .dll in one project and the .exe in a different project. We have tried recreating the projects from scratch with no luck either.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,280 Views)

Unfortunately there was no soulution for this problem. Now I have the same: A project I used and worked over longer time, suddenly shows the same behaviour. Next day it works for some trials, but then the same error: There is no executable file in the cvibuild folder and CVI generates the error message, that the exe file can not be copied. I also have tried all advices given above.
How you have resolved your problem?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(2,381 Views)

Not for CVI 2019, but I just tried with CVI 2020f2 and there was no problem anymore

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(1,867 Views)