LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to Find More Information on Excel Functions in Labwindows/CVI?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Labwindows community, 

I wanted to work on reading an Excel file and attempted to study the excel2000.prj in order to better understand how to do so. However, I wanted to find out if there was a separate website or a location that lists all the Excel functions. For example, it has a list of properties from Excel_SetProperty, such as "Excel_AppVisible." 

Things I have tried:

- Google searching "Excel_SetProperty" and other functions like "Excel_AppWorkbooks", which leads me back to the NI forums. 

- Searching for these functions in help only to find it redirecting me to ExcelRpt functions. 

Main question:

I am sure there is an easy way to find out the documentation for these functions (such as Excel_SetProperty), that I am likely overlooking. Where can I go to find out more information about these functions without having to reverse engineer them? 

Thanks,

Vincent

Message 1 of 3
(2,347 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author VincentTang

The Excel interface instrument driver largely is a set of wrappers to functions exported by Excel application via its ActiveX interface. For this reason, the ultimate source of information on the functions is the Microsoft website. I normally use MSDN pages to find functions reference and details, I suggest you to do the same. However, some differences exist between the VBA environment you find described in MSDN and the CVI instrument: not all functions, properties and methods are ported to NI environment. Additionally, you won't find the exact terms used in CVI instrument since they are only the names NI assigned to them for use inside CVI IDE: a bit of flexibility and imagination is needed to match the two scenes.

As an example, this is the page that lists application properties that you can set with Excel_SetProperty () function: as you can see, the Visible property is the one reflected in Excel_AppVisible macro defined in excel2000.h. Nevertheless, you won't find a SetProperty function in VBA reference, since MS environment simply uses application.property statement to set properties: I found that page googling for "msdn excel setproperty"

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community

Hi RobertoBozzolo, 

Thank you for the response! This was what I was looking for.

Regards,

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,286 Views)