Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verrouillage, cryptage Inifile

Solved!
Go to solution

Bonjour ,  

Je développe une  application  pour une machine de test sous labwindows CVI ,  

J'aimerais savoir comment crypter  un fichier .ini  le rendre accessible juste en lecture non en écriture.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,822 Views)
Solution
Accepted by T_RIDA

As far as I can understand, you want to have some configuration file stored on your disk and crypted so that it cannot be modified out of your program.

Long time ago I posted this example that demonstrate how to leverage system resources to crypt/decrypt texts:

Encryption / Decryption in LabWindows/CVI

Despite its age it still works on Win10 systems and you may want to consider it as the basis of your system.

I really don't know however how you can apply it to a .ini file: I suppose you don't want to create a plain text file with Ini_WriteToFile first to be crypted and deleted afterwards, to avoid the risk that the file is not securely deleted; you may try experimenting with Ini_WriteGeneric and Ini_ReadGeneric to see if the in-memory IniText object can be passed to crypt functions without need to actually create a physical file. An alternative is to use another format for the config file without relying on IniText objects (since you obviously don't want to edit it manually, the overhead of .ini format is useless).

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(2,817 Views)

It just came to my mind that if you don't need a strong and secure cryptography but you simply want to discourage manual editing of the configuration file you can use simpler methods like for example a raw dump of the memory content to a formatted string: this post of mine shows this method to dump a simple structure to a text file and read it back. Resulting output is also shown so you may verify  whether this method is enough for your goal or not.

(2,809 Views)

Thank you very much Roberto for your help , and I'm sorry because I didn't give enough data for my problem  :  

My application calcul the offset and gain of instruments , and generate Ini_File  that contains value of gain and offset  Like  :   

[Calibration_Gain_AI]
Gain_AI_0 = 1.02
Gain_AI_1 = 1.05
Gain_AI_2 = 1.03
Gain_AI_3 = 1.5
Gain_AI_4 = 1.4
Gain_AI_5 = 1.3
Gain_AI_6 = 1.2
Gain_AI_7 = 1.6

[Calibration_Gain_AO]
Gain_AO_0 = 1.25
Gain_AO_1 = 1.6

[Calibration_Gain_EL]

Gain_EL_0 = 2.5
Gain_EL_1 = 1.26

[Calibration_Offset_AO]
Offset_AO_0 = 0.02
Offset_AO_1 = 0.3
Offset_AO_2 = 0.4
Offset_AO_3 = 0.5

I use  :  

Ini_PutDouble (Ini_HandleCalibration,SectionName,ItemName,pCalibration[Index_Instrument].Offset[IndexTest]);

Ini_PutDouble (Ini_HandleCalibration,SectionName,ItemName,pCalibration[Index_Instrument].Offset[IndexTest]);

As  you said in your last email  I want  to discourage the people that use the test bench to change values of calibration because is calculated automatically with my application, it means they can  see and know calibration of instruments but they can't modified.

Thank  very  much roberto for your feedback  

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,793 Views)
Solution
Accepted by T_RIDA

Well, in this situation this is what I'd do:

1. Pack all coefficients in a single array and save it to file with FileToArray in binary format: this should guarantee you enough protection against unwanted modifications out of your program. Read data back with FileToArray
    (There are other options but the point is dumping on file a binary image of an object in memory, be it an array, a structure or so. ArrayToFile is the easiest I can think of)
  2. Create an output-only .ini file to document the situation in a operator-readable manner. Do not read it back

A direct encryption of the .ini file would make it unreadable for the user, while reading data back from the text file would make it possible to modify its content out of your program even if the file is made read-only.

(2,771 Views)

Thank you very much, 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,558 Views)
Solution
Accepted by T_RIDA

Actually you do not want encryption of those values in any way (and being able to review them in the INI file might be actually an advantage), but you want to secure them to make sure they can't be tampered with. In those cases rather than using encryption you could use hashing. Basically you use some hash function (MD5 is the most commonly used but not cryptographically safe anymore, although you might wonder if something like this needs to be cryptographically safe or rather just safe enough to prevent accidental tampering) and then calculate a hash from all the values and store it as an extra entry in the INI file. On loading you verify that the hash is still valid and if not you refuse to startup or use some safe default values and warn the user about tampered values.

Every time you update the values in the INI file you also update the hash value.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,536 Views)

Dear all ,  

Thank you  for your help and ideas , in fact all your  ideas  is good for my need , the solution that I took is to use  :   

Encryption / Decryption in LabWindows/CVI   :  Like that  for exemple  

[¯žŒŒˆ›]
¾›’–‘ ¯žŒŒˆ› = "½ž‘œ­š˜ŠÍÏÎÆÒ¬š‹ÒÆ"

[ªŒš ±ž’š]
‹ž–Ž = "‹ž–ŽÑ–›ž¿‰ž“šÑœ’"
•š‘‘–™š = "•š‘‘–™šÑž–Œ‹¿‰ž“šÑœ’"
˜Š–““žŠ’š = "˜Š–““žŠ’šÑ“–ž˜š¿‰ž“šÑœ’"
™ž–œš = "™ž–œšÑŒž‘˜–‰ž‘‘–¿‰ž“šÑœ’"
œš = "™ž–œšÑŒž

[ªŒš ¯žŒŒˆ›]
‹ž–Ž = "ÎÆÇÇÎÆÇÇ"
•š‘‘–™š = "•š‘‘–™šÑž–Œ‹¿‰ž“šÑœ’"
˜Š–““žŠ’š = "˜Š–““žŠ’šÑ“–ž˜š¿‰ž
•š‘‘–™š = "œ°ª¼°ªÈÍ"
˜Š–““žŠ’š = "ÍÆÏÍÈÉ"
™ž–œš = "’¾­¶º«¶ºÎ"‹ž–Ž
•š‘‘–™š = "œ°ª¼°ªÈÍ"
˜Š–““žŠ’š = "ÍÆÏÍÈÉ"
™ž–œš = "’¾­¶º«

So I encrypt my data when I save  in Ini_file  and decrypt  when my application lunched.

Than you, 

T.RIDA

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,513 Views)