LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to LabWindows/CVI 2019

Is LabWindows/CVI 2019 Run-time backward compatible with Upgrade to LabWindows/CVI 2010 Run-time? I have an application built with the  LabWindows/CVI 2010 Run-time, so I want to verify upgrading to the 2019 Run-time will not break the application.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,932 Views)

Yes, the CVI RTE has always been backward compatible between versions

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(1,918 Views)

Despite what NI says, it may not be compatible.  I've had problems before when upgrading LabWindows, due to changes in how functions are implemented and things just plain breaking.

As an example: I had a radar control application start giving errors when we upgraded from LabWindows 2012 to 2013.  It turned out to be because of a change to the tree function AreTreeItemsRelated.  The LW2012 implementation of this function considered a tree item to be its own sibling, but the LW2013 implementation didn't. (See this thread: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabWindows-CVI/Is-a-tree-item-its-own-sibling/m-p/2868056)

I also started having errors trying to mount a networked drive location when we tried upgrading from LW2013 to 2017.  We couldn't find a workaround and had to roll our system back. (See this thread: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabWindows-CVI/CopyFile-to-network-drive-fails-in-CVI-2017/m-p/3923442#M812...)

Also, be aware that you can't just downgrade the RTE if you start having problems.  The system will make you completely uninstall it, along with ANY applications you've installed that use it.  This has caused us huge headaches in the past.

Be VERY careful about upgrading LabWindows or the RTE.  If possible, try installing the new version on a clean PC.  That way you have your original code saved if things go haywire.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,831 Views)

Uninstalling ALL NI applications today and reinstalling 2017 due to these types of issues, see my previous thread about downgrading NI-DAQmx (no responses).

I plan on getting another computer configured with NI-DAQmx driver set 19.0 for working with SCXI application code and one for everything else (thereby having it eat one of my site licenses, grrr). Dealing with this has put me back several days now, I see no other option than to do a clean install. Hopefully a full uninstall will actually uninstall everything. 

I've been coding with LabWindows since the early 1990's when it was BASIC and not even C yet. While I wouldn't want to go back to those days, from my perspective things seemed to start falling apart a couple of years after 2000 with a real lack of direction for how it was all going to work. Its gotten better in the last year or two, but honestly over the past decade, ADE mayhem imo.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,803 Views)