From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected behavior in PlotXY with Xdata of type VAL_DOUBLE and Ydata of type VAL_SSIZE_T and graph type VAL_VERTICAL_BAR when Ydata is negative

Solved!
Go to solution

I have an application where I want to compare to sets of data with a butterfly plot. Dataset1 is all positive data in one color and Dataset 2 is also positive data but for the purpose of this plot is converted to negative values and plotted red. If I use the same data for both datasets as a test I expect to see mirror images above and below the line. I see the positive value correctly. I see unexpected results for the negative values. (solid red from the largest negative value for the dataset to zero  on the y axis for every single x value. See image below.

Combined values PlotXY.png

The code that generates to the plots is below.

plotHandle1 = PlotXY (splitHandle, SPLITS_GRAPH, mzSplitArray, binArray1, totalBinCount, VAL_DOUBLE, VAL_SSIZE_T, VAL_VERTICAL_BAR, VAL_NO_POINT, VAL_SOLID, 1, VAL_BLUE);

plotHandle2 = PlotXY (splitHandle, SPLITS_GRAPH, mzSplitArray, binArray2, totalBinCount, VAL_DOUBLE, VAL_SSIZE_T, VAL_VERTICAL_BAR, VAL_NO_POINT, VAL_SOLID, 1, VAL_RED);

If I debug in array view I get this for the "blue" data.

Positive values Array View.png

 Similarly, if i debug Array View the red data, I get this.

Negative values Array View.png

 I was expecting to see this kind of peak structure for both of the plots. I assume that this is a bug  but I wondered if anyone can recreate the results.

Windows 10, LabWindows /CVI Full Development System 20.0.0 Version 49252

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,010 Views)

VAL_SSIZE_T is signed (VAL_SIZE_T isn't), but its size is dependent on the compiler bitness: 4 bytes on 32-bits, 8 on 64-bits.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(978 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author blakney

the array view does not use vertical bars, that's why it looks o.k.

You might try VAL_BASE_ZERO_VERTICAL_BAR instead

Message 3 of 4
(973 Views)

Thanks for both of the comments. I should have added the following

ssize_t *binArray1;
ssize_t *binArray2;

I recognized that array view was plotting by its own rules just wanted y'all to see the expected result. I had not thought of the option for multiple types of vertical bars to be present. Apologies for wasting some of your time.

When I switched to the PlotXY types to VAL_BASE_ZERO_VERTICAL_BAR I got the expected results

blakney_0-1645626875928.png

plotHandle1 = PlotXY (splitHandle, SPLITS_GRAPH, mzSplitArray, binArray1, totalBinCount, VAL_DOUBLE, VAL_SSIZE_T, VAL_BASE_ZERO_VERTICAL_BAR, VAL_NO_POINT, VAL_SOLID, 1, VAL_BLUE);
plotHandle2 = PlotXY (splitHandle, SPLITS_GRAPH, mzSplitArray, binArray2, totalBinCount, VAL_DOUBLE, VAL_SSIZE_T, VAL_BASE_ZERO_VERTICAL_BAR, VAL_NO_POINT, VAL_SOLID, 1, VAL_RED);

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(962 Views)