cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undefined Symbol Error after changing an exported function name

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

I'm developing a dll for external application.

After changing some function's name, I received a linker error, "undefined symbol "_funcNewName" referenced in "pathToObjFile\*.obj" ".

I've rebuild the dll with new function name, copied the new *.lib and *.dll files into external application folder. 

Invoked the function using a new name, but still having that issue. 

Interesting detail to mention, when I roll back to original name - no linking errors.

Any Ideas? 

Thanks for the help 🙂 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,217 Views)

Hmmm, that's interesting. I'm not sure why that's happening. Does it happen with other functions or just that one? Can you use the old name, since that works? Is it being referenced anywhere else?

ZK
Technical Support Engineer | NI | Not actually retired but I don't know how to change that
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,175 Views)
Solution
Accepted by ArtB83

There are two articles which might be helpful:

Undefined Symbol Error When Importing a DLL in LabWindows/CVI Project

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019KrgSAE

Undefined Symbol Link Error in LabWindows/CVI 2012 When Building a Static Library

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P8uISAS

ZK
Technical Support Engineer | NI | Not actually retired but I don't know how to change that
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,174 Views)

Hi Zofiak, 

It happened after I changed function name, or added a new function, then invoked it in my main application. 

I think it's some kind of a bug in CVI IDE, because the original project type was EXECUTABLE, I changed it to DLL. It worked fine, from external application, until I added a new function. 

So I created a new DLL project, with same sources, types and declarations, and it solved the linking problem.

Thanks for the support anyway 🙂 

Message 4 of 5
(3,166 Views)

I'm glad you found a solution!

ZK
Message 5 of 5
(3,151 Views)