From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install CVI distribution on Server 2008 R2 machine

Solved!
Go to solution

We have a server running Windows Server 2008 R2 that hosts a CVI application.  I can install the CVI application installer package on this machine with no problem.  We also setup a "clone" for the server for testing and debugging purposes.  The clone also has Server 2008 R2.  When I attempt to install the application on the clone (exact same installer as that used for the production server), I get an error message "The installer requires Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or later".  I have tried three separate versions of the CVI code and get the same result each time.  The application was built with CVI 2015.  I also built the installer from CVI 2013 with XP selected as the minimum OS and received the same message.  Please advise.   

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,196 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Double_D

Are you sure those machines have the exact same windows versions (including service pack, etc..)?

The minimum OS requirement for NI installers is described here. It's also worth mentioning that CVI installers built with version < 2015 SP1 f1 have an additional minimum OS requirement stored in merged.bin, one of the installer binaries - in this case, modifying setup.ini is not enough to get the installer to run.

Hope this helps!

Trent

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver
Message 2 of 3
(2,179 Views)

That was the issue.  The production server had Server 2008 R2 SP1, but the clone machine did not have SP1 installed.  Once I installed the service pack, I was able to run the CVI installer.  I would have thought that this wouldn't have been an issue with the CVI 2013 installer with XP as the minimum OS, but it was.  Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,137 Views)