LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing RS-232 with PXI 8430 (beginner level question)

Solved!
Go to solution

AI guy here who works predominantly in Python and who was recently assigned a software task. Please let me know if I can word this better. My terminology may be a little off but hopefully I can get the general idea across.

I am trying to learn how to test if a cable we built is able to use RS232/RS422 by connecting it to a couple of PXIs. I need to write a GUI which can test the cable to TX/RX through Port 1 on PXIs 1 and 2 and RX/TX on Port 2 on PXIs 1 and 2. The hardware is currently unavailable to test on but I need to write before it gets here.

I have found the RS232 example for CVI2017. I have read through the source code and have a general understanding of how it works. When I try to run it, I get a  timeout error because I am not connected to a device.

What steps can I take to write the test software for RS232/RS422 in a device that I do not have?

Edit: I have also seen the loopback tutorial at http://www.ni.com/tutorial/3450/en/. Still not sure as how to implement it on unavailable device.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,187 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Garrett_H

Get an Arduino and connect to your development computer.

Arduinos like Uno, Mega, Nano, etc introduces themselves as a serial port.

Put some simple code into the Arduino to respond to your test code and work on it until satisfied.

Testing this for a single port is enough since the tests for other ports would be identical except the port number.

S. Eren BALCI
IMESTEK
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,114 Views)