LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending Turkish characters to Word

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to generate reports in Word (using word2000.fp) in different languages.  However, when I copyTurkish characters from Word into CVI, they appear as question marks (?).  Is there a way to define a string of characters in CVI that Word will recognize?  For example, when I look up the "dotless i" in Character Map, it says the code is "U+0131".  Is there a way to send that code to Word so it will display the dotless i?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,216 Views)

Does that solve your problem?

S. Eren BALCI
IMESTEK
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,206 Views)

Thanks.  That allowed me to send some, but not all, of the characters I needed.  The problem with this approach, though, is that I need to give the operator the option to print a report in English or in Turkish.  I don't want the operator to make changes to the system and then reboot every time the language needs to be changed.

Does anyone know a way to send the character code, or is there some other solution?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,183 Views)

You should also select in Word a font that has the Turkish characters in its character set.

Generally, special Turkish extensions of 'c', 'u' and 'o' are visible (possibly because they also exist in French and German) while that of 'g', 's' and 'i' are only correctly visible if the selected font supports them.

You don't have to change back to English every time. Your selection only effects the special unicode characters, which English does not have any.

Hope this helps

S. Eren BALCI
IMESTEK
Message 4 of 8
(3,178 Views)

Eren,

I'm still missing something.  Let me give you a few more details.  We have a test report in Word that has been translated into Turkish.  I know the font (Tahoma) can display the characters because I see them.  I'm using CVI 6.0 and I set the language to Turkish.  I copy words from the Word report into CVI (so that later I can have CVI generate the report) and some of the characters (e.g., the dotless i) appear as '?' in CVI.  I copy them from CVI back into Word and the characters still look like '?', so something is lost in the translation.  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Gris

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,165 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gris

Hi Gris,

You're not doing anything wrong. Your only problem is that you're using a version of CVI that is over 10 years old and has no support for copying extended characters to and from Unicode. To properly view and manipulate non-ANSI character sets you'll have to use a recent version of CVI.

Luis

Message 6 of 8
(3,153 Views)

Hi Gris,

If your method is failing because of your version of CVI, let me suggest an alternative method for your application.

- Use Excel instead of Word as report format.

- Create a template file by copy-pasting from Word to Excel.

- At runtime, save a copy of the template into the report folder and rename.

- Fill only the missing data using Excel ActiveX library (excelreport.fp).

This way, you don't have to put Turkish characters into your code.

But you have the burden of carrying around a template file together with your executable.

Hope this helps,

S. Eren BALCI
IMESTEK
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,135 Views)

Eren,

Thank you for all your replies.  I tried using CVI 9.0 and that solved my problem.

By the way, I am using templates, but in Word rather than Excel.  Most of the text is included in the template, but there are a few Turkish words that I need CVI to generate.

Regards,

Gris 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,120 Views)