LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPI driver for PXI-6509

Do anyone knows about the implementation of SPI using NI PXI 6509?
I want to test the SPI driver module with 6509 using LabWindows/CVI
If anyone know the details please share it. Some examples would be helpful, too.

Thanks in advance.

Rombar
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,812 Views)

Hi Rombar,

You should be able to do SPI communication with the 6509 board's static I/O. One thing to keep in mind is that if the SPI device you want to communicate with needs to have a high communication speed, the PXI-6509 (and other boards with static digital I/O) will not be able to communicate fast enough. This is because the static I/O can only be controlled by software timing. The smallest delay that can be used to create the clock is 1 millisecond with static I/O. This will give the fastest software-timed SPI clock rate as 1 kHz.

For higher communication speeds than can be achieved with the static I/O, consider using the USB-8451. The USB-8451 is specifically designed for I2C and SPI communication. Its driver is NI-845x. This will give you the higher SPI communication rates, up to 12 MHz. See page 11 of the User Manual for valid clock rates for the USB-8451. Whether 1 kHz or lower with the PXI-6509 can be used with your device will be dependent on the SPI device you choose.

Regards, Mallori M.

Mallori M
National Instruments
Sr Group Manager, Education Services

ni.com/training
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,788 Views)

Hello Mallori,

Can you please tell me if I can either monitor or become a slave using a PCI-6534 High Speed DIO board for a SPI master running at 12.5MHz. In these forums, NI keeps pushing the USB-8451 board butit is only capable of being the Master. You cannot have 2 masters communicating. I noticed searching around that if enough people ask for it, then NI may start to work on a SPI Slave Board. Any word on that product?  Thanks.

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,495 Views)

Hi Michael,

The USB-8451 is the only official SPI device that NI makes. I would, however, recommend that you create a product suggestins under the Product Feedback heading at this site. NI reviews these and does take them into consideration.

An HSDIO Data Acquisition card like the PCI-6534 should be capable of performing as a slave SPI device. However, implementing this and writing the code for the communication will be entirely up to you. The 6534 is capable of using an external sample clock, which is provided by the Master SPI device, and 12.5 MHz is within its limits.

For help with the code, I would search the rest of the forums and NI Developer Zone. Forums like this one have asked similar questions.

Regards,

Mallori

Mallori M
National Instruments
Sr Group Manager, Education Services

ni.com/training
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,474 Views)