LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with distribution installer setup file

I have a program created on my developer pc. It runs very nice without any issues.

I want this program to be installed on a target machine, so I created a distribution installer.

The release configuration is set to "All configurations".

In the installer I set the Minimum operating system version to WindowsXP

I build the installer  on my pc without problems. I even run the installer and the program is installed on my pc with no issues.

But when I try to install it on the target machine I get the following message:

"Setup.exe is not a valid Win32 program"

What can be the reason for this ??

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,698 Views)

Hey MikaelD,

On the web there seems to be many different possible reasons:

- Corrupted .EXE, incomplete "download" (I'd imagine copy), CD drivers problems

- File not designed for your Windows OS

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you rebuild your application and redeploy it with a different CD/USB (it's worth a shot!) And make sure you're building from LabVIEW 32-bit? (I imagine WindowsXP machine is 32 not 64)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,417 Views)

Thank you A-Guz-Man,

I’ll give it a shot!

MikaelD

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,413 Views)

A pleasure MikaelD!

A few other ideas I got from the web:

Other info that might be useful:

• Does this happen when you install other programs locally? From an external drive (USB/DVD/CD)?
  • What is the LV version of the development environment?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,409 Views)

@A-Guz-Man wrote:

A pleasure MikaelD!

A few other ideas I got from the web:

Other info that might be useful:

• Does this happen when you install other programs locally? From an external drive (USB/DVD/CD)?
  • What is the LV version of the development environment?

I have seen this before a couple of times when trying to run an installation on a target machine

I use Labview 2020 proffesional

MikaelD

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,403 Views)

I haven't tried your procedure to build a Windows XP application from LabVIEW 2020 (and I assume Windows 10). I see a few potential risks but you might prove me wrong:

From the compatibility chart, it seems LabVIEW 2015 SP1 is the latest LV compatible application that can run on Windows XP SP3.

And from my LabVIEW 2020, I don't see the option to have a minimum Windows XP supported OS (which makes sense because LV 2020 is supported from Windows 7 onwards)

Screenshot_662.png

Sounds like you'd need to build the application from an older LabVIEW version that supports LabVIEW 2015 deployment (and thus Windows XP running)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,398 Views)

Ok, I will try that

Thanks

MikaelD

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,392 Views)

Is this a LabView or LabWindows issue?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,362 Views)

Hi,

Sorry I can see that I answered that I use LabView 2020 to A-Gus-Man earlier, but this is actually a LabWindows/CVI issue.

And my LabWindows version is 2011

So if you have any ideas on how to solve this, it will be highly appreciated.

\\ MikaelD

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,355 Views)

The error seems familiar but I'm drawing a blank right now on the exact cause.  I definitely have seen something like that after a partial/corrupt/incorrect download, so it is worth making sure the size and hash are correct on the target machine. Also, have you checked 32 vs 64 bit as suggested earlier?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,341 Views)