LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private CVI 2017 distribution

Hey there.

I wrote a wrapper DLL in CVI 2017 a few days ago and it works great on my PC. I wanted to distribute my application by manually adding the CVI runtime engine to my end application (for now, a LabVIEW one, but it could be called by other IDEs) by copying the cvirte.dll and cvirte folder, like I already did in the past with success (with older CVI versions).

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019LJBSA2

However, it turns out it does not work with CVI 2017! In my case, when opening my executable it returns an error (error 12 or 42). I do need to install the CVIRTE.msi installer from the CVI run-time engine but I could not track down which particular component I am missing there...

Installing the CVI RTE is not an option (due to admin privileges needed for anyone who'd like to use the app).

Thanks for your help!

--Eric

Eric M. - Senior Software Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Architect - Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer - Certified LabWindows™/CVI Developer
Neosoft Technologies inc.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,739 Views)

Hi Eric, 

I found that paper: http://ae.natinst.com/public.nsf/web/searchinternal/0BECAE8F7DF0570C86257F38006D130B

Does it help you?

Best regards, 

Antoine

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,700 Views)

Well that could possibly help if the link was not internal to NI 😉

Certified LabVIEW Architect - Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer - Certified LabWindows™/CVI Developer

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,694 Views)

Hi Eric, 

My mistake, it is the same link you previously sent, I'm searching further. 

Antoine

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,678 Views)

Any progress Antoine (or anyone else...) ? 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,637 Views)

Hello Eric,

The document that Antoine tried to send you is the same as you found.

I remember to have done it in CVI 2015 and 2013 with no issue as well but not tested yet in 2017.

I've got a customer had a issue because he copied/paste the wrong bitness folder, but I'm pretty sure that is not your case 🙂

What is the OS where you are trying to make the CVI exe running?

Do you have more information in the error screen. I've checked and didn't find anything regarding this error code on CVI 2017.

I'm not probably sure it is needed but do you have the VC Redistributable 2015 on the host PC?

Paolo_P
Certified TestStand Architect
Certified LabVIEW Architect
National Instruments France

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,624 Views)

Hey Paolo 🙂

Just to make sure this is clear - I'm deploying a LabVIEW exe calling a CVI wrapper DLL.

Yeah I copied the right bitness dll to the right bitness folder, that's why I was surprised by the error thrown by LabVIEW (it's not a CVI error - http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361P-01/lverror/misc_lv_error_codes/ )

Affected OS are Win7 and Win10.

Yeah I have MSVC 2015 Redistribuable on the deployment machines. That's even why I ended up rewriting the wrappper DLL in Visual Studio to overcome this behavior...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,618 Views)

Do you have some plateform specific functions or something like that in our CVI code? I mean have you tried to deploy using the same process but with a dummy CVI code?

Paolo_P
Certified TestStand Architect
Certified LabVIEW Architect
National Instruments France

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,587 Views)

I must admit I haven't gone through the 'dummy' test but the wrapper code is fairly simple, essentially calls into the original DLL and conversions of structs into simpler data types (with some memory allocations here and there), so I figured it was dummy enough to post here 😉 Have you tried something similar?

Anyhow, I don't want to take too much of your time on my specific problem (because it's gone now that I moved to Visual Studio), but the main point here is there seems to be a KB out there that is no longer valid, so you guys should try to figure out what's going wrong internally ^^

--Eric

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,578 Views)