LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing "Company name" information when building a .EXE

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all, sometime in the past weeks something has gone wrong in my CVI 2009 SP1 installation and now the Company Name information is missing when creating the executable Smiley Surprised

I have an application created at the beginning ot april that is correclty showing that element in file properties, but when I open now the project and look into Build >> Target Settings >> Version Info panel and preview substitutions the company name is missing even if '%company' is present in the field.

I tried manually editing the registry according to this thread (9.1 subkey) with no success: company and user name were missing together with the serial number but even if manually adding them the company name is still missing from target settings panel and in the executable even after restarting both CVI and PC.

I also tried manually editing the .prj file and after that deleting cvibuild folder together with the .cws and _dbg files, still with no success

It is to be said that both CVI and compiled executable are working correctly: it's not a matter of errors or unexpected behaviour, i's just a question on correctly versioning our job (and the fear that this situation hides some more serious problem Smiley Frustrated )

What can be happened and how can I fix this situation?

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(5,794 Views)

Hello Roberto,

I cannot answer your question, only comment on it:

In the Build >> Target Settings >> Version Info panel there is a field 'Company Name' - this is different from %company because the latter is the name entered during CVI installation, it is a very global value. Hence I would assume that the value of %company is saved/retrieved from the Windows registry and not stored in the project or workspace file - may be this registry value got overwritten by some newer installation?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,793 Views)

Hello Wolfgang, thanks for your comments. However, when I look in the online help for version info screen I can see:

Enter the appropriate details in the Text Information section. You can use the following symbolic items in the Text Information section:

• %company—The company name that you entered during the LabWindows/CVI installation.

That's why I tried updating the registry according to the path Luis gave in the linked discussion: apparently this information is stored elsewhere, but where? Presently %company evaluates to nothing! I know I can enter this value manually, but how did it get corrupted and how can I fix it?

(5,786 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RobertoBozzolo

Hello Roberto,

Concerning the workaround you tried, referring to the other forum thread, in CVI 2009 this information is no longer persisted in the registry. For UAC-related reasons, it was moved to a file. By default, this file is in the following location:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\National Instruments\CVI2009\bin\userinfo.ini

Vista/7: C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\CVI2009\bin\userinfo.ini

Make sure that the file exists, and that it has a [REGISTRATION] section, with a "CompanyName" tag within it.

If it does exist, check also your splash screen to see if the company name appears in the top/left corner.

Finally, if instead of %company, you type some arbitrary string for the company in the Version Info dialog, does this string also appear in the "preview substitutions" mode, and does it make it to the executable that you build?

Luis

Message 4 of 8
(5,772 Views)

Thanks Luis for the informations. I'll check this file next Monday when I'll go back to office.

(5,763 Views)

@Luis: here is the result of my tests.

• If I place some string in Company Name field of target settings screen I can see it both in Preview Substitutions and in the compiled executable properties
  • Updating userinfo.ini file makes the company name visible in splash screen, target settings panel and compiled executable

It seems as if either the file was modified someway that I don't know of or I never entered the company name information when installing the software: strange enough but it could be. My confusion comes in that very often I start developing on my desktop PC and finalize debugging on site with my laptop (where company name information is indeed present): I have a couple of programs with the company name and some other without, but since there is no evidence of the machine the program was compiled on, I cannot tell for sure if I entered that information during installation or not.

Anyway, situation is now correct on my destop PC so thank you for the support.Smiley Happy

BTW, "Application data" member of the path you gave me must be localized according to OS settings.

(5,751 Views)

----------

[REGISTRATION]
Directory = C:\Program Files\National Instruments\CVI2010\
SerialNumber = "XXXXXXX"
CompanyName = XYZ Technologies
UserName = XYZ
company = TEST COMPANY

--------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,686 Views)

In the Edit Installer dialog the Publisher field is not used for the program install location. To change the install location you need to update the install directory on the Files tab in the same dialog. In the bottom Folders tree you need to 'Rename' the install folder under Program Files.

Michael

NI

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,680 Views)