LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live Images from a converted decoration

I’m trying to write a fairly simple imaging routine using Vision in LabWindows CVI. I need t look at a live image and place indicators (crosses on the image) by mouse pointer and get out the coordinates from those points.

Problem: I’m placing an image from my Basler cam using the “Convert From Decoration” from the ImageControl.fp. This works very nice with the set of tools on the side and coordinates as the mouse moves over the image. The problem is that it is a one shot (snap) still image. Is there a way to make the converted decoration image live. (update rate) ?

Another option might be to use the “imaqDisplayImage (image, 0, TRUE);” but make the display sizable (scroll bars) as the in the previous image display. This should be all possible but documentation is very poor on the “how to”

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,093 Views)

Leichner,

This process should be the same as a continuous grab, but all of the processing will need to be done before you display the image. This processing will likely require vision processing software of some kind. Are you using commands out of a specific library (ie NI-IMAQ, NI-IMAQdx, etc)? What kind of camera is your Basler camera?

One really great resource for you to use will be the NI-IMAQ Function reference help and helps like it found in National Instruments>>Vision>>Documentation>>NI-IMAQ>>NIIMAQFunctionReference.chm. If you don’t have the C Reference Help on your computer, you can modify your installed and select that to be installed and you should be able to get to all of this information for whatever drivers you have.

Blake C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,070 Views)

The camera is a Basler Aviator avA1600-50gc type Gigabit Ethernet. I would need to use the imaqXXX type functions not the imgXXX type as found in NI Vision. I installed IMAQdx and NI Vision can readily display a live image via a very large image screen (the Basler cam uses a 1/3 type CCD which gives a large image). The trick here is how manipulate this window to be sizable and make the sliders operate. Being able to operate the tool window would also really help. The problem here is the lag of help or code samples. Just difficult to figure out how (i.e.) imaqGetCurrentTool (); really operates.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,058 Views)

Leichner,

These functions can be found in the NI-IMAQdx Function Reference Help. There is a specific section on the CVI/LabWindows section for those specific calls. National Instruments>>Vision>>Documentation>>NI-IMAQdx>>NI-IMAQ_Function_Reference.chm. You mentioned you didn’t find the right type in NI Vision, but you’ll want to go to the NI-IMAQdx folder and select the NI-IMAQ_Function_Reference.chm. Then you can drop down the Functions tree and also the LabWindows/CVI tree and this will show you your function options to call from the IMAQdx driver that interfaces with your GigE camera. This help folder also explains the functions. If this folder isn’t there you’ll need to modify your installer.

There are also Vision-specific text-based examples in the National Instruments>>Vision>>Text-Based Examples file path.

You can also find customer-written and shared code by going to www.ni.com and selecting the Developer Zone tab and then searching under the Example Code tab.

Let me know how this helps.  

Blake C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,048 Views)