From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labwindows/CVI real time pci 6503 problem

Hi,

I'm trying to get an NI pci-6503 digital i/o card to work in a LabWindows/CVI realtime environment.  I was able to get the card to show up in MAX by adding the DAQmx software.  However, when I tried executing code using the include file, "nidaqmx.h", the IDE couldn't find it.  So I loaded the DAQMX driver software that came with the pci card for windows xp onto my computer.  As a result of loading this software, not only do I not see the pci 6503 anymore in MAX, but it wiped out two other cards I had working in the system (an RS422 serial port and an IRIG card).  :Please help me get my system at least back to where it started.  It would also be extremely helpful if somebody could give me a simple code example that initializes the pci-6503 for simple output (mode 0?) and writes bits to any output port.

LabWindows/CV v.8.1
LabView real time V8.2
MAX v4.3.0fo
NI-DAQmx for windows xp, v8.6

Thanks
Kevin Anderson
Lockheed Missiles & Space
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,238 Views)
Hi Kevin,

I can answer and work with you on your CVI related questions but I would suggest posting your specific hardware questions to the Multifunction DAQ forum. They could give you better advice than I can with regards to your hardware issues.

With regards to why the CVI IDE can't find nidaqmx.h, my initial guess is that you don't have DAQmx support installed for CVI.  If that's the case, then repair the DAQ driver and include LabWindows/CVI Support. Or you might be in the scenario that the Installing DAQ Support for Multiple Versions of LabWindows/CVI KnowledgeBase discusses.

Also, since you mentioned that you have LabVIEW Real-Time, my guess is that you will be creating a LabWindows/CVI Real-Time DLL and then using that DLL in LabVIEW. If that's the case, make sure to set your Run-time support option to Real-Time only under Build >> Target Settings. This will link in the CVI RTE subset that is compatible on RT. 

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
Jonathan N.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,222 Views)

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for responding to my request.  I managed to solve the problem by finding another solution.  I restored my software configuration to what it was before installing the software that came with PCI-6503 card.  I then removed the DAQmx driver from the real time machine.  Instead of using the DAQmx library, I used the VISA in/out functions to write directly to the registers on the card.

Kevin

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,201 Views)
Kevin,

I want to make sure you are aware of an issue NI discovered a couple months ago, by which installing a certain build of the NI-DAQmx 8.6 driver could corrupt your MAX database.  This could be what you experienced.  Refer to this product notice to see if you are affected, and instructions for restoring your system to a good state.

Mert A.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,197 Views)