From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabWindows app distribution without admin rights

Solved!
Go to solution

@RobertoBozzolo wrote:

Ok you are the master in your app, but.... if your IT has blocked software installation, manipulation of Windows directory is very likely to be protected as well!

It certainly should be. Otherwise the entire IT policy tightening is just a farce that provides no real security. If I can drop files in your system directory I can take over your machine easily if I wanted to.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 12
(193 Views)

@RobertoBozzolo wrote:

Ok you are the master in your app, but.... if your IT has blocked software installation, manipulation of Windows directory is very likely to be protected as well!

It certainly should be. Otherwise the entire IT policy tightening is just a farce that provides no real security. If I can drop files in your system directory I can take over your machine easily if I wanted to.

But I think he talks of a local Windows installation with full admin rights for the sole purpose of determining what files are installed by the CVI Runtime installer. A very cumbersome process and totally version dependent and most likely 50% or more of those files found like this are not really needed but if it works it works. And if you modify the app later and add another interface somehow, like DAQmx for instance it breaks down anyhow. Hardware drivers NEED to be installed in the OS and that works only with admin rights!

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 12
(210 Views)