LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get CVI to generate symbol table and memory map files?

I want to know where my global variables and code are being placed in memory. More specifically, I want to know how much memory is required for my variables. CVI does not appear to allocate memory consecutively, so defining variables at start and end doesn't yield an answer.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,100 Views)
If you have CVI 7.0, you can get a memory map of your code if you check the Generate Map File option in the Build>>Target Settings dialog.

Luis
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,100 Views)
Thanks. That works. Next, is there a way to ensure that a set of variables is contiguous and consecqutive?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,100 Views)
I'm sorry but no, there isn't. I would have expected all the globals to be allocated consecutively, but if they're not, I know of no way that would make them be consecutive.

- luis
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,100 Views)
Just for the record.

If you are using previous version of CVI, you can port your code to another compiler and generate the make file there.

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,100 Views)
> I'm sorry but no, there isn't. I would have expected all the globals
> to be allocated consecutively, but if they're not, I know of no way
> that would make them be consecutive.

What about the ugly crutch of using a struct for all the globals and defining the globals
themselves as pointers to elements of the struct...? Yeah, I said 'ugly' !
--
Guillaume Dargaud
http://www.gdargaud.net/
"Maintenance Contractors always dress up nice, with a tie and everything because they believe
that a customer will trust a nicely dressed guy with their million dollar equipment just because
he's got a nice tie..." - Simon Travaglia (the B.O.F.H.).
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,100 Views)