LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a digital signature for exe files

As windows security improves, more effort is made to alert users of "questionable" software. Such is the case with CVI executables which bear no digital signature and upon invocation bring up the "Open File - Security Warning". While users have the option to run or cancel, a digital signature is the right way to address the issue.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(9,001 Views)
You mean you want to check the integrity of your EXE when you load it up?
Standard way is with a CRC checksum value. Store the value in a file and have your program calculate and compare the checksum.
Every time you recompile the EXE you simply recalculate a new checksum using another program (that uses the same CRC algorithm) and store it in the file.

Dave 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(8,970 Views)
Gerry,

You should check out this link on MSDN, which contains a set of functions to create certificates http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wcesecurity5/html/wce50grfCertifica...

If you want to use checksum stuff as Dave suggested to make your own certificate, you can check out the Cryptography functions which are the next item on the MSDN tree to the link I posted.

Both of these function sets use the Windows API. 
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(8,948 Views)
Great info!  Were you asking about getting products signed by Microsoft, or creating your own signature scheme?  Looks like that link was for win mobile users.  I think this one is for regular Win32 users. 

Hope it helps-

Message Edited by Travis M. on 07-10-2006 01:30 PM

Travis M
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(8,928 Views)