From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Functions in File ring popup position should be improved

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

one of the welcome new features of CVI2013 is the ring control Functions in File in the toolbar allowing to quickly jump to a function.

functions in file.png

Unfortunately, if there are several functions in a file, "quickly" is limited: In this case the ring control showing the function names turns into a ring control popup. This popup is misplaced in the sense that the mouse cursor position always results in the list scrolling to the first entry in the ring. I suggest to fix it by placing the popup slightly different such that the ring does not immediately start scrolling...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,306 Views)

Hi Wolfgang,

I asked for this feature but I haven't been able to find it in CVI 2013 Smiley Embarassed

how can I enable it?

is there a checkbox or what else?

thanks

Probably this idea is not necessary anymore

Vix
-------------------------------------------
In claris non fit interpretatio

-------------------------------------------
Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,293 Views)

Yes, your suggestion has been implemented... Smiley Happy

You may need to 'activate' it by customizing your toolbar: menu Options / Toolbar, the button / ring is called Functions in File.

Note that you may need to adjust two toolbars, i.e. 'Workspace Window + Source Window' and 'Source Window'

Message 3 of 10
(5,288 Views)

Hello NI, it's nice if you're busy with fixing CVI2013 but some feedback also would be welcome Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,229 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wolfgang

Hello Wolfgang,

and thank you for your appreciation and suggestion regarding the Functions In File feature from CVI 2013! We've taken your remark into consideration and we also think that this aspect, that you described, can be cumbersome for our users, when the ring displays a large number of function names and the modal dialog is scrolling immediately up, after it has been opened. We will monitor this issue and consider implementing a feasible solution for this, in an upcoming release, in such a way, that scrolling doesn't cause any distraction or other inconvenient behaviour.

Thank you, Wolfgang!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,184 Views)

Thanks, too! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,181 Views)

Hello Johannes, is there any update? The ring still mis-behaves the same in CVI2015 Smiley Sad

It also changes between dimmed and non-dimmed mode, depending on the current line, but in both cases the ring scrolls up immediately as soon as it is clicked on because for many functions the list is too long. Also I find it sort of counter-intuitive if one can operate a dimmed control...

@Johannes_T wrote:

Hello Wolfgang,

and thank you for your appreciation and suggestion regarding the Functions In File feature from CVI 2013! We've taken your remark into consideration and we also think that this aspect, that you described, can be cumbersome for our users, when the ring displays a large number of function names and the modal dialog is scrolling immediately up, after it has been opened. We will monitor this issue and consider implementing a feasible solution for this, in an upcoming release, in such a way, that scrolling doesn't cause any distraction or other inconvenient behaviour.

Thank you, Wolfgang!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,033 Views)

Hello Johannes,

is there any update on this consideration? At least a car to more easily track it?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,840 Views)

Greetings Wolfgang!

We are tracking the behavior you reported regarding the function pull-down list with CAR ID #438547. The issue can also be seen under this Kown Issues List: http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/52830/en/#438547_by_Date

Best regards!

- Johannes

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,791 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wolfgang

This issue has been fixed with version 2020 - thanks 😊

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,066 Views)