LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fatal Run-Time - Unknown Fault - on any CVI program close

ngay528 wrote: 

Its just odd that it only occurs when closing a program in the IDE.  Not when running it externally on its own.

I'm guessing that your program links to the wrong version of one or more DLLs when it's run from the IDE.

To test this...

1. Write a simple program that does nothing except wait 10 seconds.
  2. Run your program from the IDE.
  3. While it's running, find out which DLLs are loaded, using a tool like ListDLLs (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/sysinternals/bb896656.aspx ) or Process Explorer (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx ).
  4. Run your program externally.
  5. Repeat #3.
  6. Compare the DLLs (also pay attention to the exact folders the DLLs are loaded from) -- are there any differences between #3 and #5?
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(1,955 Views)

I may have found the two windows programs that cause this to happen!!!

@JKSH

I did a quick test, and they both have the same dlls listed (via ListDLL).

I also notice that I am getting a crash outside of the IDE now.  BUT, the prompt only occurs sometimes.  

"[Program Name] has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is availbable." I can click debug, but don't have a godo debugger installed.

Using ListDLLs, I did see a few dlls that were odd to me.  I use a program from Stardock called ObjectDock that lets you have hideable shorcuts on you desktop.  I thought it was weird that this was showing up in the dll list when it was unrelated to my program (DockShellHook.dll to be exact).  I do remember however how CVI does some weird hacked thing about creating a fake hidden window when it runs programs.  Don't know the details, but I do remember this.

I closed ObjectDock, and the dll went away from the list, however problem still occurred.  I then went to my other task bar like program "Actual Multile Monitors".  The actuall dll that I think "Breaks" it is ammemb.dll.  My Actual Multiple Monitors has two processors (ActualMultipleMonitorsCenter.exe and ActualMultipleMonitorsCenter64.exe).

Soo I think the issue is CVI interacting poorly with ActualMultipleMonitors (I have version 4.2 installed free-version).  It's the only program I have found that does this.  Perhaps NI can investigate this.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(1,933 Views)

@ngay528 wrote:

I closed ObjectDock, and the dll went away from the list, however problem still occurred.  I then went to my other task bar like program "Actual Multile Monitors".  The actuall dll that I think "Breaks" it is ammemb.dll.  My Actual Multiple Monitors has two processors (ActualMultipleMonitorsCenter.exe and ActualMultipleMonitorsCenter64.exe).

Soo I think the issue is CVI interacting poorly with ActualMultipleMonitors (I have version 4.2 installed free-version).  It's the only program I have found that does this.  Perhaps NI can investigate this.

Good sleuthing.

Does any other program crash when Actual Multiple Monitors is running?

Also, I had a quick look at the Actual Multiple Monitors site. Version 4.2 is very old; the current version is 8.6.2. Do you still experience crashes if you upgrade?

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(1,922 Views)

I have not tried a newer version because I kept it at the free version.  I did see they didn't even support it anymore in past installations which was odd.  I have tried gzip now, which so far i don't like, but hey doesn't crash. 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(1,916 Views)