From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fatal Run-Time - Unknown Fault - on any CVI program close

I have been trying to track down a few what seem like phantom Fatal Run Time Errors on my program closes.

I am running LabWindows/CVI 2010 Full 10.0.1 (419)

I originally posted here -> http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabWindows-CVI/EasyTab-ConvertFromCanvas-memory-leak/m-p/3084769#M69465

As I thought this was related to tabs, where my resource tracker shows 'unclosed' resources.

Now I am opening a different program and have found that even though I put my return 0; at the top of my main loop, I still get a fatal run time error.

The error is exactly:

FATAL RUN-TIMe ERROR

Unknown source position, thread id 0x00001BB4 

The program has caused a 'Unknown' fault at 0x748A4F11

This occurs every time I run my program in the CVI IDE.

There are no allocated resources in my resources window.

Searching for either address in my map file brings no results.

Thanks,

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(6,209 Views)

Hi ngay528,

I have attached a link below to one of our discussion forums that walks through using the Resource Tracking feature of LabWindows/CVI. Again, sometimes this particular error is caused by leaving resources open at the end of an application, so this feature can help us identify those resources if that is the case. Please follow the steps listed in the solution of the thread (message number 4, marked in green). 

FATAL RUN-TIME ERROR: Unknown source position, thread id 0x00000EB4: The program has caused a 'General Protection' fault at 0x00459B9D:
http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabWindows-CVI/FATAL-RUN-TIME-ERROR-Unknown-source-position-thread-id/m-p/16...

Thomas N.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(6,138 Views)

Thomas,

I have already tried that, and actually, that is what this issue seems to be around.  Please re-read my statements carefully along with my comments in the thread I linked.

In short, if I do ABSOLUTELY NO CALLS in my main loop, but just place a return 0; at the top, I still get an error.  Breaking on resource de-allocation does break for all items, however i still get an error.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(6,135 Views)

ngay528,

What does your application perform when you get the error? I suspect that your application performs something related to threading. Can you please provide exact information about your code that reproduces this problem? You could also upload a minimal version of your application source code, that reproduces the problem.

Thomas N.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(6,123 Views)

Thomas,

Other than my basic c and empty h file, what else do you need to post?

For what its worth, here is my entire C file, in which I still get an error!

-------------------

//#include <cvirte.h>
//#include "Live CNo GPS.h"

/***************** MAIN ***************************************/
int main (int argc, char *argv[])
{

return 0;
}

-------------------

I don't know if its something with CVI 2010 or what.  I am literally including nothing and instantiating nothing.  My UIR is completely blank.

I have verified by running Built In Examples that I get the same error.  For example, i just ran the "Rotated Text" sample project and got the same issue.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(6,120 Views)

Im getting the same kind of issue.

Did some one have got solution to this issue or it's still open. 🙂

Thanks,

Kiran

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(5,176 Views)

Still haven't heard anything, and haven't figured it out.

Pretty frustrating.  It has to be something in the drivers or installation package.  It is annoying because everytime I run the program out of the IDE, I have to click OK on fatal crash error box, then actually click Stop button to stop program.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(5,174 Views)

Ok. I am also a little worried on this issue. 

Do n't know whethere the issue related to Windows OS hot fix or not.

The other interesting thing is when i ran the application alone, the crash is not happening.

Right now, I am trying to use extended debugging in labwindows to find out the real crash.

Thanks,

Kira

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(5,165 Views)

Hi ngay528,

You mentioned that you are using LabWindows/CVI 2010--how long have you been seeing this crash occur? Has it only occurred in CVI 2010, and if so, did it start happening immediately after installation?

Tom D.
Staff Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(5,145 Views)

It has not occurred the entire time I have CVI 2010 nor has it occurred the entire time on this same computer.  I can't remember, but it either occurred after major Windows 7 updates, and/or after an update to CVI2010 awhile ago.

Its just odd that it only occurs when closing a program in the IDE.  Not when running it externally on its own.  I would have thought it would be easier for NI to track it down, but not sure.  I can have a program just call an empty main() function and return and the error would still occur, so its clear something with the IDE and the program.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(5,138 Views)