LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control and Display a DVD player Menus within LabWindows CVI

Hello,

I am using LabWindows CVI 2010 controlling a DAQ and other devices using a PC. I need to control a DVD player that has a RS232 interface. Using the RS232, I can access the Menus inside the DVD and set it up the way I like. But I do not know how to close the CVI display and show the DVD menus.

How can I change the Display from showing me the CVI   .UI displays to the DVD menus.

Thanks

Bobby

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,397 Views)

Hi,

You can check the example "Controlling Windows Media Player
from LabWindows/CVI" this might be helpful

here is the example http://www.ni.com/example/26428/en/

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,375 Views)

I don't think native functions are present in the DVD player to permit you to easily replicate its control panel: RS232 is a way to message a device and read responses, not suitable for remotely replicating its control panel. You will need to design your own UI replicating the DVD controls and associating the appropriate serial communication to each of them.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(2,367 Views)

Hello,

I will check it out.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,357 Views)

Hello,

Some DVD players come with RS232 and Ethernet capability. You can access the menus on the DVD players to set them up and communicate with them through RS232 or the Ethernet. They also provide you with a setup program that you would install in your computer. Every time you like to change setting or control something you would run the DVD program.

I am not trying to access the DVD player menus through CVI. I want to add a button on the CVI so when the button is pushed, then the CVI program (Menu) disappears and the the DVD setup program will start. At this time the CVI is in the background doing nothing until the user finishes the DVD setup and then exits the DVD program. Once the DVD program is existed, then the CVI program comes back on the screen and takes control.

Thanks

Bobby

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,356 Views)

If this is your goal, then the solution is calling the DVD program with either System () or LaunchExecutableEx () commands.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community

Hello,

I tried it and it works.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,240 Views)