LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusion Resolving App Crash on Win10 Systems

I'm working with an application developed on CVI 6.1 that is now experiencing a crash when it closes on Windows 10 machines. I've seen read through this forum thread which explains that the issue has been fixed as of CVI 15.1sp1 (https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabWindows-CVI/CVI-executables-causes-Access-Violation-0xC0000005-on-Window...).

I downloaded both the 15.1 rte, and the 2017 version of CVI to recompile our application with, but when I opened up both of the folders the cvirte.rsc file is 0KB. Is this to be expected? I expected to be able to just recompile and/or just drop that rte file alongside my existing application and it work, but it being empty throws a wrench in that plan. Is there a step I'm missing in the patch process?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,854 Views)

Hi ! that is a good one, CVI 6.1 is legacy.

So you download the Runtime engine 15,1 and LabWindows/CVI 17 version?

Did you try to open in another version only to double check?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,809 Views)

Hey, if I understand your question correctly yes I download the latest CVI dev environment (2017) to start the investigation. Afterwards I downloaded the 2015 RTE linked to in  the forum post above. I downloaded both due to seeing the empty cvirte.rsc file and wondering if it had been depricated in the latest version.

I'm also running on an evaluation license right now if that would affect the file in anyway. Attached are images of what I see in my cvirte/<ver>/bin folders.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,798 Views)

Ultimately I'm trying to migrate the run time environment from the 6.1 environment to the 15/17 environment which address a bug where applications crash on windows 10. I'm trying to figure out exactly which steps are needed to do this.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,785 Views)

Lets try this:

Removing or relocating the following files will stop the behavior from occurring, assuming the that you  are not using those files in your application:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cvirte\fonts
C:\Windows\System32\cvirte\fonts
Note: You may need to restart the computer to remove these, as they could show up as "in use" after a crash occurs and as a result not be moveable/deletable.

If the you wishes not to modify the GAC, they can use a local copy of the CVI RTE directory without the above files in their application install folder. This will force the executable to use the local runtime instead of the System32 runtime.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,778 Views)

Thanks for the response. We've already tried this solution (as it was also mentioned in the linked forum post), but it creates 2 "Cannot find file <font>.ttf" errors on start up instead of the application error on close. Granted this is a less severe error, but it does create 2 instead of 1.

According to the linked forum posts we should be able to simply update our run times for a proper fix, but I'm unclear on how to do that as the cvirte.rsc file is empty (I get a "Cannot open file" error when trying to use this), and I can't locate cvirte.dll anywhere in any of the following

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments

C:\Windows\System32\cvirte

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cvirte

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,769 Views)

Sorry if these seem silly questions, but:

• Why are you so interested in .rsc file? I don't remember I had to explicitly use it anytime
  • Can't you update the runtime with its proper setup program?

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(2,765 Views)

Not at all silly, I'm very unfamiliar with CVI, I'm just working on updating some older programs. Right now we distribute the contents of cvirte (/bin /fonts) with our application and cvirte.rsc is part of that. I expected that was the bulk of the run time environment. We use the application for an internal process, and from my best understanding we distribute all necessary files with the application instead of installing them. I was trying to identify which files I needed to update in our distribution so it works under the new RTE.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,761 Views)

Hi Jcowf,

I would like to know how did you solve this issue of crashing Win10, I am on the same boat, but couldn't get if the issue was solved, if you figured it out could you also share how?? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,349 Views)