LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility issue between CVI2020 and Excel 2016?

I have a piece of code that was working between CVI2020 and Excel 2013.

An update to Office 2016, including Excel 2016, was pushed (can't go back 😞 )

and now I am getting a run-time error.

The error states:

Fatal Run-Time Error

Invalid argument type: found 'pointer to pointer to char'. expected 'pointer to double'.

Code compiles without error under CVI.

Target is a dll file.

dll file is called from TestStand

Thoughts?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,031 Views)

When updating to Office 2016 there are two problems that can occur. One is that it does not properly install the Excel ActiveX component anymore. You have to force a reinstall of that.

The second is that your Office quite likely may be 64-bit now. That's going to be a problem if your LabWindows/CVI installation is 32-bit. Sometimes the forced reinstallation of the ActiveX component solves even that, since ActiveX allows out of process invocation through marshalling, which can bridge the bitness gap, but it seems not conclusive when that works and when it doesn't.

What usually works is to go into Windows Settings->Apps->Apps & Features->Microsoft 365 Apps for Enterprise and select modify. You need elevated privileges to start that dialog, so if it is an IT managed computer, you need to get an IT administrator to do that. I the dialog select Repair. That should usually fix the ActiveX registration so that the Office Automation interfaces are again accessible.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,018 Views)