From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVI2012 and CVI2017, install only CVI2017 IDE which shall use the whole remaining stuff of CVI2012 (like RTE)

has someone experience with such configuration? Or can tell me that my imagination is not possible or not suggestable due some reasons?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,362 Views)

I seem to understand that this configuration is not possible. Installing the IDE will install the corresponding runtime in the system, so the machine running 2017IDE will run on 2017 RTE.
What you can do is to create a distribution with the 2012 RTE to install on a different machine.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community

@RobertoBozzolo

Thks, for your statement.

It is frustrating.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,329 Views)

It's what everyone does in the industry. If you create an executable in Visual Studio xxxx, it will link to the C runtime library for Visual Studio xxxx and there is no way to convince Visual Studio to do something else. (Well theoretically you can go into the whole system and start changing linker script settings, but the chance that that will result in a working executable are about nihil).

GCC does the same. Each version of GCC comes with a specific C lib version and convincing a certain GCC version to use a different C lib instead is an exercise that surpasses almost anyone's patience.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,306 Views)

If your goal is to build an application in CVI 2012 that will always run with the 2012 RTE, even if CVI 2017 is installed, that you can do: in CVI 2012, select Build>>Target Settings>>Run-time engine binding>>2012 side-by-side for entire application.

Under this configuration, the application that you build in CVI 2012 will continue using the 2012 run-time, even if CVI 2017 does install the 2017 RTE -- it's just that this 2017 RTE won't be used with your 2012-built application.

But what you can't do is build an application in CVI 2017 that would use the 2012 RTE.

Message 5 of 6
(2,270 Views)

...you can't do is build an application in CVI 2017 that would use the 2012 RTE...

So I got it right we are using in our company IDE CVI2012 and it is costly or evenmore not possible to switch to IDE CVI2017 (and create CVI2012 RTE executables with the CVI2017 IDE), - produce same output due with the goal not to handle compatibilitie issues between RTE2012 and RTE2017.

Furthermore

I can tell CVI2012 to use RTE2012 instead of RTE2017

(use corresponding RTE to the IDE Ver = OK, but RTE2017 would also work because it is higher = OK)

But I can not tell

CVI2017 to use RTE2012

(use corresponding RTE to the IDE Ver = OK, but RTE2012 would NOT work because it is lower = NOK)

Please do not get me wrong...

Actually I am more interested to the benefits of a newer IDE from NI. CVI2012 is like stoneage compared to IDEs like Eclipse Photon.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,256 Views)